Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soul Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Anyone out there listen to this band? I really like this stuff, they have a great groove, and with no bass player even! I am just now starting a new band with some of my new college buddies, and we are arranging some Soul Live songs for bass, keys, guitar, and drums. It is great stuff!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like Soulive. Another organ trio that's smoking is the one Joshua Redman put together for "Elastic".

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've gotten to see them live, and let me tell you, homeboy's organ sounds friggin huge!!! So thick and syrupy, and right in the pocket too.

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Soulive is really something else...

Its kinda depressing that they dont have a bass player... Cause there is nothing "missing" in their sound!

The live cd is also really good! Im listening to Next right now. In my oppinion their most commercial album. Some cool stuff though, like the cover of Ani Difrancos "Joyful girl" and the songs featuring the roots and tabib kweli...

Hey Nick, Keep us posted on the project with your buddies... You guys know what songs you will be covering? Would be cool if you could get us a recording eventually. Would like to see how you incorporate the Bass into their music.

Peace

M

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good band, I dig 'em. Despite the absence of a bass player, dude has a monster left hand on keys.

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    And some mean feet!!!

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The first songs we're learning are Steppin', then Joe Sample, then Hurry Up and Wait.

:D