Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soul Survivors with Chuck Rainey?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    These guys are playing in the SF Bay area later this week (Yoshi's) and I just did a web search but couldn't find anything much on this group. Has anyone heard them? Any recordings online anywhere? Does Chuck play stand-up or electric (or both) with this band? What kind of material do they do?

Thanks!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    They recorded "expressway to your heart". You know the record that goes "I been tryin to get to you for a long time, you constantly been on my mind. I been thinkin bout a shortcut I could take" A real big hit in the late 60's

3. also covered well by the Blues Brother when John Belushi was still alive...

from the low end,

Stew

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not to hijack the thread, but did anyone make it out to the clinic Chuck did at Bass Emporium in Austin? I really wanted to go but I would have had to take off work for two days (due to distance and timeslot for the one-evening clinic) and I couldn't quite rationalize that... :(

5. man, I didn't even hear about it. I would have made the drive from N'Awlins for that!

:(

from the low end,

Stew

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

You might want to visit their site (www.bassemporium.com) and get on the email list. They had Michael Manring awhile back -- who knows who they might have next?!?

:)

7. d'oh!

missed Manring, too?!?

well, if it's any kind of news, I'm hoping to share a stage with Mr. Manring late next year...

from the hopeful low end,

Stew

ps - wasn't this a Rainey thread?

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Word! - hope that comes to pass for ya. :)

9. LOL

probably not as much as *I* do!!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So far they've had two of three people that were mentioned to me. The third that was mentioned as a possibility for clinic was Gary Willis. So we might be seeing a clinic from him in the future.

brad cook

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hard times befallen the Soul Survivors.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That gig at yoshi's was the reason Chuck couldn't stay at wootcamp, and had to leave after the second day.

13. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Was good to see Chuck. Unfortunately, from where we sat, you couldn't hear him very distinctly.