Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soulive (Oteil's favorite band)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Have you guys heard of a band called Soulive? If you haven't, you're definitely missing out. It is a trio consisting of guitar, B3 organ, and drums. Oteil plays bass on one live track. (He takes a loooong solo!)

The band consists of three young guys around the age of 25. The band draws influences from Grant Green, Jimmy Smith, George Benson, and has that old school jazz, soul-funk kind of sound. But it's so fresh and it'll take you on many twists and turns. And there's a lot of young energy.

The guitar player, Eric Krasno, was my roommate for a couple of months when I was in the dorms at Berklee College of Music. His playing and how he approached funk definitely left a really big impression on me, and obviously Oteil too, cause he says they're his favorite band, and I think he even brought them along to play with him at Bass Day 2000.

I'm not a promoter or anything, but a band this good needs to be heard. Go to their website, and order the CD (I don't think they have it in the record stores)! You won't regret it. I received the CD 3 days after I placed the order.

BTW, they re-released the album "Turn It Out" and John Scofield plays on 2 tracks. I have't heard that yet!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Oteil linked up with Steve Smith, Howard Levy, and Jerry Goodman for an indescribable one-off recording called "The Stranger's Hand." Considerably more elcectic, melodic (and less wearying) than the usual Steve Smith fusion jam stuff. Highly recommended.

3. I highly recommend everyone to check out their song called "Uncle Junior." You can find it at http://www.mp3.com. It's worth the download time!