Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soulive!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ebozzz, May 11, 2003.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Alright, I know the bass work is of the left hand variety but their stuff is funky! I picked up up two of their releases today (Soulive which was recorded live & Next) and I'm digging 'em a lot. Anyone else here that appreciates them and are there any other artists out there that share some similarities to them?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Soulive is smoking. I'm going to get my group to do a track or two from "Next".

Also check out Joshua Redman's latest, "Elastic". It's a trio... sax, keys and drums. Sam Yahel is just killing on keyoards and handles the low end extremely well. Joshua can blow his butt off and Brian Blades is one of my favorite drummers.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll look for Joshua next Brad. Thanks for the tip! Some of the tracks on the live disc kind of remind me of some of the old Jeff Lorber Fusion tunes. Cool stuff regardless and I like. :D

4. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Joey Defranchesco is another heavy hitter when it comes to great hammond organ bass lines. There is a great album that he played on with Pat Martino. The album is called "Live At Yoshi's." It is under Martino's name. If you like Soulive's groove, check that out.

Also, there is another great band called Schfvilkus. They have a heavy a** groove. I like these guys better than Soulive. Check them out at www.schfvilkus.com. Check out the mp3 "Pleather". That song kicks a**.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey g4string,

I checked out that track Pleather and it's cool. I heard a little AWB & James Brown influences in there. I sure a few other things would come to mind if I listened to it more which I intend to do. ;)

7. Soulive are chill.

I thought they had a guitarist along with them...either touring or a guitar chair on most of their songs. I could be wrong.

I downloaded a song of them with Oteil Burbridge. It was tres cres.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you ever get a chance to check out a band called Greyhounds then do it! Their keys player is awesome. Really talented guy. They had a bassist when I saw 'em but he left and they decided to stay bassless. Now it's keys, guitar and drums. The other guys in the band are no slouches either.

brad cook

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I saw that show!! Martino absolutely shredded. Fabulous comeback story.

10. They're good as far as all those jazzy-funk-jam bands go, but I think they are missing some low-end. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the genre. MMW is cool, but I hate Galactic and bands like them.

11. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Another great band that has the groove thing going is the Grey Boy Allstars. These guys are no longer together, but they have a hard groove. Karl Denson was in this group before he started his own group. Almost forgot about these guys.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd love to hear what you feel that genre is lacking if you would like to share. :)

13. Soulive is awesome. Im digging the stuff they did with Oteil Burbridge and Derek Trucks. I also like the song they did with Dave Matthews.

14. Sorry, I forgot about this one.

I think the biggest problem in the soul/jazz genre or whatever those bands are in is the lack of originality. Have you noticed how many times that Galactic has used a recycled Meters riff in one of their tunes? If I want some good funky/jazzy type stuff I'll just go straight to the source. Another thing is that a lot of these bands sound very, very similar. At least MMW is doing something creative with genre...experimenting with weird instruments, tempo changes, dissonance, etc.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I saw them last year here in Atlanta. They kill! Their CD stayed in the Maxima's CD player for a looooong time! My favorite song is "Shaheed".

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I can respect that. ;) Just so you know, I like to go to the source myself and most of the music that I tend to buy comes from the Old School. Think about this though. An arguement can be made that even The Meters used some things that were derived from artists that came before them, wouldn't you agree?

I find myself not buying a lot of music from new artists because I feel that a lot of the creativity that was so prevalent in days gone by is just not there anymore. I think a lot of that is because on many occasions one person with a synth decided that they were going to do it all or most of it by themselves. Some people are good at keeping the music interesting while doing that and others are less successful.

There's a local person in my area that I've developed a friendship with who was of that train of thought. Since meeting him, his stance has been modified. He can now see how the interplay of different individuals and instruments can add something special to a track that he just can't get from his board on his own. Now to give him props, he is pretty funky!

With Soulive I hear some of their creativity seeping through because you have a situation of input coming from various sources and you can feel how they feed off one another in my opinion. I can't say that about the entire Jazz/Funk genre but I'll keep supporting them as long as they keep bangin' and releasing a good product! :cool: :bassist:

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I like that one also. ;) I've been spending a lot of time listening to Dig and Liquid lately.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    They played out here a few months ago...they smoked!!!

19. I dig Soulive. The first album I got of theirs is Turn It Out. That's still my favorite album. It's just so raw. I find that their more recent studio albums are a little produced. I still dig them. They're a band that you have to see live to know where they're really coming from. There are a lot of bands today that go for the funky soul-jazz sound, but out of the ones I've heard, Soulive is at the top of my list. The grooves are good, the tunes are catchy and accessible to everyone, and the musicianship is at a high level. They can shred, but they always groove.

A band like Galactic, on the other hand, bores me in comparison to Soulive. I mean, they have the funky elements to them, but they lack the musical sophistication that I look for in that kind of music. This is, of course, just my opinion and I don't mean to offend any Galactic fans.

20. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Word. That song rips. What a bunch of neat chords.

BTW. I thought he played bass with his feet??:confused: The pedals...