SoulSeek anyone? Free P2P music filesharing program.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Someone on another forum introduced me to SoulSeek awhile back and I have been really loving it! Basically it's a program that lets you set your music folders to be accessed remotely by anyone else using the program. So you can browse through an insane amount of music from collections all over the world! Including a lot of really rare stuff.

You don't even have to share anything though I believe some people only let users download who are sharing stuff too. I put my whole music collection up and have had a few people download random stuff, I also have found a lot of great music some of which I literally couldn't find anywhere on the internet!

There are tons of MP3's as well as FLAC's for most stuff, the download speeds vary person to person and I think if you are too far away you can't even access each others files. But there are tons of people.

It also has a chat function so you can message anyone and start chat rooms for various genres of music or whatever. Here is their site for anyone interested:

Soulseek

It's really simple to set up, though for some reason it had an issue on my laptop which I haven't managed to fix. The issue wouldn't let me share music though so I could still download stuff on my laptop.

Just felt obligated to share after all the great music I have found! drool

My name is Musiclover420 on SoulSeek for anyone interested! I only have part of my music collection up so far but there is still a lot of random stuff. I plan on getting the rest of my music up before long too which will include a ton more lossless vinyl rips of all sorts of classic stuff :cool:

2. How do the Musicians get paid?

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    By people buying their albums and seeing them live...

Plenty of the stuff on Soulseek is so old and rare you literally can't even buy it, and if you can it's like 300$+ for a used record where all the money is going to some collector...

There are also musicians like Jimi Hendrix who were screwed out of the rights to their music. So if you buy hendrix albums you are supporting the greedy lawyer who stole the rights to his music...

I still buy albums of bands I like, and pay to see them live whenever I get the chance... :whistle:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Reyzadren and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Soulseek is old! I used it a lot from about 2003 - 2009.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Can't believe I only discovered it in 2017! It's helped me catch up on a lot of stuff, and find better quality versions of a lot of cool rare old gems :thumbsup:

It's cool seeing what people download from me as well. Some has surprised me as I have some pretty obscure stuff, but it's nice to see other people appreciate some of it too :)

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    It's really great for discovering stuff. Because you are literally browsing someone's collection. I grabbed tons of stuff based on titles/names alone.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    It's almost dangerous as you could spend days downloading stuff and run out of hard drive space :nailbiting:

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I had a good friend who was into these P2P share sites. He liked them a lot, and got me several albums from those sites that are totally unobtainable now. And, a couple that technically are available - like Fleetwood Mac's Dog and Dustbin - if you're willing to give up 4 of the 12 songs on the original album for a lot of studio buffoonery, arguing, and meaningless noise. Which I'm not... And yeah, I, too, am unwilling to pay some Greedhead $300 for an album or CD he paid $8.95 for...:)

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    They are great for foreign music too which often can often be hard to even find, usually you have to hope they are popular enough to have CD's available or hope a decent quality version is up on youtube.

10. Just subscribe to a music service mang. its more convenient.

11. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't know man, Soulseek is pretty damn convenient. Makes it easy to share and download tons of music from all around the world. Plus it's totally free and you don't even need to share music, that's just the helpful thing to do.

It also lets you sort searches by average download speed so even most lossless music downloads reasonably fast. There are also usually a bunch of versions of albums up which is cool if you like bonus tracks or unique releases.

It's pretty rewarding when people download stuff from you as well, especially when it's some cool music. It's nice to see other people appreciate the same stuff especially with older more obscure music.

12. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I
    I was a beta tester for SoulSeek... Lol.

Sunset Shalom and Toptube like this.
  13. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    How did the old version compare to the new ones? I read some complaints online about people switching over to SSqt and having issues but I haven't noticed anything major.

14. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I honestly don't know. I haven't used it since... Well, maybe the first or second official release. It's been so many years...

15. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Fair enough :thumbsup:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021