Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound adjustment problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I played on the stage pictured below and had a heck of time dialing in a decent tone on stage. I was using the Home County Folk Festival rental amp. I'll be sure to bring my own in future. The stage is concrete, the walls are brick. Very boomy. No matter what I did to the amp it just sounded like chicken-doody on stage. FOH was great according to reviews after the set. I tried cutting freq I wanted less of. And eventually just gave up and lived with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stage like this. I really enjoyed the gig all the same. Great crowd. Largest for me in many a year.

[​IMG]

2. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Have you tried the Walkabout?
    Mesaboogie-

3. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Actually I use EA gear. Happy with that although I have never tried a Walkabout. Really wish I had brough my own rig.

4. Maybe I don't play on cement floor/brick wall rooms enough to figure the EQ out, but I've never had a great sound there.

2 things helping for me was getting cab off the floor, either spare rack or milk crate. The other was decoupling cab from floor. I use sorbothane half spheres, cushiony gummy balls like you'd use under turntables to isolate from room vibrations. Doing the reverse here, isolating vibrations of cab from room. The Auralex pad thing might do the same, haven't tried that, sounds like same principle.

Those kinds of rooms I think you're stuck with tolerable sound for bass. Hard to tame the resonances with EQ.

Of course, neither of these solutions helps when you're using someone else's amp, unless its small enough to pick up easily.

Randy

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sometimes stages have reflective surfaces, floors, walls, etc. that just won't allow for decent tone. When that happens, I just deal with it best I can, and take solace in the fact that the mix through the PA for the audience doens't suffer like my stage monitoring tone.

6. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks guy. I hope to play the stage again with my own rig. I would try the gramma pad. There were also plenty of road cases lying around so that would have been a good idea to get the speaker up at ear level. FOH did sound good.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

no real suggestions , just looks like it was a fun gig !!

very nice bass , btw ...

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Sometimes getting aggressive with your controls is the best thing to do! Roll off your lows all the way and let the room add the rumble onstage. Or, just turn the amp volume way down and try to enjoy yourself without fighting through a mess of mud. Better than constantly having to tweak!

Lonnybass

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think in that sort of situation you need to roll off the lows a lot.