Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound after a 4 hour Set

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Zartarian, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Mike Zartarian

Mike Zartarian

Oct 9, 2003
    Just played a 4 hour set, and it seemed to me that by the end of it my rig lost a lot of it low end punch and high end clarity.

I have a Eden WT800 head and tonight I used and Ampeg HEN classic cab. But, I have noticed this with other cabs, like my Eden 410XLT that I didnt have tonight.

My amp, although in a rack bag ( I prob shouldnt have it in this bag?) doesnt get too hot, the fan comes on, but never thermally shuts down or comes even close.

I played the eden bridged mono at about 1/4 - 1/3 volume.

What could cause such a thing? Could it be perceived since the rest of the band gets louder?

Thanks ( I'm new to this forum and love it!)
    Mike

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Usually when this happens, it is one of two things. Either the rest of the band gradually turns up throughout the night, or your voice coils are getting hot. Doesn't seem to me like this should be occuring at the modest levels you are running though.

Petebass, where are ya?

3. I'd say it's a mix of your hearing getting flubbed up, your speakers getting warm and probably a little floppy, your bandmates getting louder, your fingers getting tired, but not so much the change in your amp's characteristics.

Mostly your ears getting the snot beat out of them. :D

Chris

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what he said ^
    evrything sounds weird to me by the end of a night - your ears and brain have a way of doing that

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've found that also. even on quieter gigs just the constant sound-in-the-ear desensitizes your ears to bass and other frequecies. I use to have a combo that I was slightly not happy with the sound at home, but after a gig I thought "it sounds warmer and more rounded?" why? what changed? my hearing for the night!

Even with ear plugs if the band keeps turning up you may slowly run out of low end. I've also noted that I'll keep turning up the mids to cut-through, but when I get home or the next day ask myself "why did I have the mids THAT high?" TEMPORARY HEARING LOSS!!! It adds up over the years! trust me!

Some people like to start out really heavy and go up from there. I try not to. It drives me crazy sometime, but I try to 'mix' my bass into a sound with the rest of the band where I'm standing that sound pleasing to me. I'll use some mids rather than volume or cranking bass to hear myself better.

Fun, not!, experiment for you. where a foam ear plug THE WHOLE NIGHT never taking it out. When you get home or out of the loud setting, pull it out! You'll be suprised at how shot you ears are! try and listen to conversations around you with you protected and unprotected ears. you'll be amazed and shocked hopefully. I wear hi-fi plugs even at lower volume long practices. anytime my ears start flinching I put them in.

6. Mike Zartarian

Mike Zartarian

Oct 9, 2003
    thanks for the replies guys ...

when ive sound metered shows its been like 95-105 dBa. and the tradegy isi have hi fi earplugs and usually dont wear them with this band cause were quiet by most standards. i also feel like wearing earplugs hurts my ability to hear everything well, and i feel realy disconnected. however, i guess im going to start.

mike

7. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Most states have a db restriction. Michigan is 85 db from the amps read at the front of the stage and 110 from 100 feet. Ear plugs are a good idea. If you always practice with them you'll get used to having them in...

This next sounds odd but, some people can hear things better if there is a little reverb in the mix. Doesn't need to be a lot. I use reverb in the vocal monitors for the performer to hear their voice's better. So instead of turning up the mid's add a little reverb near the middle of your set. Of course with the ear plugs in this could all change.
    Good luck!

8. I'll bet on trashed ears.

Unless you play with ear plugs, your hearing is markedly desensitized in short order. Any ringing in the ears afterwards indicates damage.

Damage is cumulative.

:mad:

OSHA allows a maximum of 95 dB for a 4.0 hour exposure. This is the equivalent of a noisy manufacturing plant. My band clocks in at 105 db at the audience position, some 15 ~ 20 feet away from the sound sources.

Power compression occurs in the drivers when they get hot. If you are driving hell out of the rig for many hours, this is also a good possibility. The driver characteristics change a great deal when over heated.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    MIke, by hi-fi do you mean the ER-20s? I have ER-20s and they are not flat, but much flatter than foam earplugs I use to use. as far as playing quieter songs I feel a little disconnected from band, but not as much as foam.

When I had foam plugs they cut a huge amount of treble AND the band, but my bass wasn't cut much so, in my head, it sounded like I was too loud when in fact I was too soft. ER-20s are better and I'm ALMOST totally comfortable keeping them in when songs get quiet, because after all if anything **I*** will be too quiet and not too loud which is a better side to error on for soft songs...

also with plugs you don't always have to have them all the way in, you can pull them out a little for softer songs, that might help.

10. I've been wearing the nice plugs (Er-15s and molded plugs) for the last 6 months or so, and I can actually hear better with plugs in now than I can without them. I tend to be able to pick out specifics from the music a lot better when my ears aren't being bombarded by overdriven guitars and cymbals.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK everyone relax, Im here now............ :)

I agree with Bruce. You've trashed your ears is all. Even at moderate volumes, 4 hours is a loooong time. The way my audiologist explained it it is that ears have an inbuilt defense mechanism in which they kinda contract to protect themselves. The contraction is not however the same as a normal muscle contraction, but it's there. You've asked your ears to hold that contraction for a lot longer than they were designed to. Liken this to holding your bass in one hand with your arm held straight out and parallel to the ground. Notice the bass gets heavier the longer you hold it?

Your gear is fine.