sound and lighting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Mar 11, 2002.

1. hey there, everyone! i'm new to the site and so far, i think it's great. there's lots pf neat stuff here. anyways, i want some thoughts.

recently, i've gotten an idea to use a midi pick-up to convert over to DMX, a sound sensative lighting system, so i've heard. how i'm figuring this would work out is like this.....
    There are somewhere between 38-45 notes/tones that can be found on a typical 21, 22, 24 fret guitar. midi, as i've been told by a friend that knows a GREAT deal about sound and engineering stuff, recognises 250 frecuencies. DMX, once again from a friend, also has 250 frecuencies it "hears" in order to tell the lights what to do. now, first let's establish one thing that we'll from now on assume; since, on the neck of a guitar, there are only 38-45 notes or frecuencies that midi will recocgnize, it will be hard to go above or below the range that can be heard with either guitar or bass. basically, i want to use a midi pick-up on a guitar and convert it to DMX so that i can change the color of the light being shone according to the note i'm playing. for a basic example, the note "C" would be changed into the color red, "D" into orange, "E" into yellow, "F" into green, "G" into blue, "A" into indigo and "B" into violet, the octave "C" turning back into red. color fades would be accomplished by assinging "in-between notes" to "in-between colors". get it so far? tell me what you think.
  2. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    that actually sounds pretty cool... play some chords and you'd get some crazy-go-nuts colors goin... though watch out, if you play too fast you might have narcoleptic seizures ;)
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Sounds kind of tacky.

Go for it, if you're in an 80s style hair band.
  4. I think I'll stick with our Expression III ligting console
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nothing to do with basses.