Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound blocking padding?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Dec 25, 2004.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    my friend has been getting complaints from neighbors about his playing, and vibrations and stuff, i heard of this padding that u stick to the wall and it bounces the sound back or jsut absorbs it so it doesnt go to teh other side of the wall or ceiling or floor or what ever. where can i pick this up and how much does it cost?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is he in an apartment or a house?
    bass guitar is really hard to soundproof in an apartment setting as it vibrates thru the walls, floors, etc. Having the amp or cabinet up on soemthig helps in this case. As far as homes go, there are lots of foam sound absorbing items available, as well as using egg crate, pillows, blankets, etc.

Or, he could just turn down to a reasonable level during the later hours.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, he could just stop being an inconsiderate knob and turn down.

4. Well, sometimes a good sound, and being considerate may be hard to reach at the same time.

For example, I have a 2.1 setup at school in my cico class, and in order to hear, and to some level feel the bass, it needs to be kind of high. And since the room I'm in, and where my computer is, there is another room on the other side of the wall. And people have come in and complained about the bass. And I tried all different methods to attempt to soundproof it a little bit.

But the best and most efficient way to reduce some of the boominess was to put it up on a chair away from the wall. And I did have to cut back on the input on it.

So things can be done, but it's never really the same.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    oh i forgot to mention, he plays guitar, no bass. he plays it very distored alot of the time. but he barely ever hit 4 on his amp. the walls are somewhat paper thin, but the room he's at the end of the hall andhe plays inthe room that to teh ferthest wall away from teh other tenents an dhis amp IS on a chair. so i dunno what they are complaining, for. dont know much about the other tenents thoug.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hmm...well, I could say "turn down the distortion", but you can get "very distorted" at lower volumes (cranked pregain and a low post-gain, I do it sometimes when I'm screwing around on my brother's guitar). He seems to have taken a lot of measures to avoid this, but they're still complaining...so there are two things that I have deduced. His fellow tenents are probably pricks, and he'll probably have to duct tape egg cartons all over his apartment for a measure of acoustic padding.

7. False. The padding you speak of will NOT help reduce the noise to those outside the area. It will make the room sound much better when you are inside, but it will not be effective for sound proofing. Search google for soundproofing methods. The best approach is room within a room and there are detailed plans for this on the internet. High density materials are your second best bet.