Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound but no signal

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 27, 2002.

1. when i try to record in Cool Edit Pro i get sound out of my speakers but no signal in the program or anyother program (sound recorder).

im going from my bass straight to the mic in on my sound card... its a SB PCI512

anyhelp much appreicated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You have to select the Line in or mic in (whatever you're using) as recording source in the Windows sound mixer.
    It's recommended to use the line in, because the mic preamp is really low-quality and very noisy.

3. i cant use the line in because well i have no piece of equipment to bring it up to line level...

my recordings usually sound fine with the mic input...............

but this problem just started.... it was working fine and then boom sound but no signal in the programs....???

i dont care about the sound recorder bit but i would really like to know what caused it in my computer and cool edit pro

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Again, check the settings in the Windows sound mixer and/or the soundcard mixer.
    Mic in must be selected as recording source.
    Set levels accordingly and check all channels in the playback mixer.

If it still doesn't work, check all cables and the driver status in device manager.
    Perhaps you somehow damaged your driver. Reinstall or update if necessary.

5. jmx

those suggestions above did not help... i still get sound. but in the program i get no signal or recording.

does anyone know what would cause this????

i updated the drivers as you said... nothing... still sound but no record level.