Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound cards, etc.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 26, 2001.

1. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good card for a pc with ins and outs (I don't even know the correct name for the stupid things) I'd like something w/ at least 4 1/4" inputs, but 8 would be preferable...do they make ones with xlr ins? How much should i expect to pay? My band would like to start recording through our mixer but still be able to control some individual instruments after recording, we have some software already.

Also, how much difference is there between soundcards? How much would we have to spend to get a decent quality recording. We are on a tight budget so we know we aren't getting anything studio quality, but we've got a lot of tricks up our sleeves. Any cheap suggestions? My comp has an Ensoniq AudioPCI (as far as i can tell thats the name) I don't know anything about it, but i'm sure its a piece of crap, at least for recording purposes.

thanks,
    josh

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd recommend a card with ASIO drivers.
    ASIO is a driver interface by Steinberg for with pro features and low latency. Cubase, Logic and lots of other pro audio tools are ASIO compatible.
    Midiman Delta cards are very good.

www.midiman.com

prices are list prices, street prices should be lower.

You can use a XLR/1/4" adapter to connect your gear to the balanced inputs.
    Stay away from the Soundblaster Live, it sucks (very crappy drivers, no ASIO), don't let yourself be fooled by its breakout box, it's just a card for gamers, not for musicians.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    http://www.marsmusic.com has the audiophile for $160.00 now.

edit: I was just checking out the midiman/m audio website, they have excellent support! The support many OS's and even give you installation instructions with screen shots. They also have a section on setting up their card with your recording programs. Pretty cool, all in all.