1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sound Cards

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Hey y'all,

As you may have guessed, I'm looking for a decent sound card. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, I'm just irritated by the fact that when I use the scroll roulette on my mouse it makes my speaker screech :mad: I'd also like to get decent sound quality for direct recording of either bass or guitar or whatever.

Since you guys are bass players and have good ears, I thought you might help me choose a sound card. Price range 75-150$. Currently running through my motherboard's sound card, it's a P4B533-VM.

thanks in advance,
    Phil

2. For that kind of money I recommend a Creative sound card. You should be able to pick up an Audigy 2 card for around $80.00 U.S. or their newer X-fi for around $110.00, if you shop online.

One thing about the Creative cards is it comes with a bunch of useless software. Only install the drivers and you'll be fine.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    e-mu 0404?

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Your basic problem is the fact that youre running on on-board sound. That stuff is ALWAYS terrible because it picks up signals from all over your computer. I suggest the Audigy 2 if you can find it, but theres really nothing wrong with cheaper Sound Blaster sound cards. Recording is always going to be tricky unless you invest some decenty money to get a really good system going... but just to record a bass? I think most, if not all, SB cards should be fine.

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Thanks for the help guys, and lizardking, that last one looks pretty killer... I just got my mastercard bill yesterday though, and I might have to wait a bit before spending more money :help:

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whatever you do don't buy from datavis.com, regardless of the price. thieves.

7. +1 :scowl: