Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound characters of amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drone, Mar 20, 2001.

1. I am curious to hear how you guys would describe the sound of various bass amp systems...I am not really in a position to be able to play a whole lot of em...For example, with SWR, I think Really Hi-Fi, full range, lots of treble and bass...I suppose with Ampeg I'd think warm, phat and midsy...I'd just like some nuetral descriptions of various amp tones...Eden, Trace, Hartke, Carvin, mesa, whatever...thanks

2. Drone, the only two I have expeience with first hand are Fender and Hartke.

Fender: Warm and neutral sounding. Will let the character of whatever bass you're playing come through. The new Bassman series reminds me of
    the old 60s Fender amps a bit. Very nice.

Hartke: Hot sounding. Very good for slapping. Much
    brighter sounding compared to Fender. ( if that's what you want ) More cutting edge than traditional.

Hope this helped,
    Mike J.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can give my words on one of those, that I owned till not too long ago.

Trace Elliot: Mid-rangy, quite thick sonic character. Tends to color the sound a lot, everything put through a TE will sound TE. Sounded growly when used in studio, sounded tight when used live. Not everyone will like TE amps. I got to like less colour better, and so I like EBS. :)

4. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    HI-fi doesn't mean nessarily treblely and bright, it means that the sound is transparet or reproduced with as little sound coloration as possible.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden sounds bitchen.

6. Ampeg sounds big and ballsy and dirty, growls like a dog. In my limited experience :)

7. And Trace Elliot sounds Hi Fi in a processed feeling kinda way ...

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ampeg: warm, growly, somewhat nasely mids, punchy

fender BXR 100 combo: deep lows, warm mids, crisp highs. sounds great when using line out into a pa

hartke: warm growly deep beefy lows, warm nasely mids, crisp highs, punchy, but the highs come at a huge price, way too much high end hiss.

9. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Sunn 1200s;very smooth and even sounding.to my ears it seems to have low coloration.perhaps a little dirtier than some like SWR,which I find sterile sounding,and cleaner than others like Ampeg or most all tube amps.can be made to sound very dirty using the overdrive or whatever it's called channel.