1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sound clip 40 odd year old chezch hybrid

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassplayer48, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    Sounds very nice to me, and your playing is VERY nice.
    I'm a BG - DB newbie, and I've got a Strunal hybrid with weichs's on. It sounds pretty good to me, but I do keep wondering if I should have got mittels - my bass seems to lack a bit of low-down oomph, and the volume seems low to me, but everyone tells me you can't tell what your bass sounds like unless someone else is playing it, and it my case that would be someone a lot better!
    I really like the sound of your bass on this recording, but it sounded a tiny bit distant to me, and I couldn't get an impression of the E very well. Having said that, I wish my set-up sounded as good!
    Have you tried the mittels? - most people seem to think they are more powerful. I was toying with the idea of just fitting an E and seeing how that sounded before i spent another £137 on spec.
    All the best
    Mark

2. hi thanks for your comments i do agree that sometimes its hard to judge your own sound, as for the mittels no i haven't tried them but i do know they are higher tension, which i think would take some adjusting to. However i have read they are a more powerfull sound and given the bigger gauge would make sense.

I have been toying with the idea of guts, which can sound wonderful on the right bass. However i tried a set of Innovation silver slaps which are supposed to be a synthetic gut alternative and i hated them with a passion!

3. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    I suppose it boils down to whether you're prepared to throw some more money at a possible "sound in your head"!
    I'm hoping to find someone else to play my bass with me standing a way away from it and see how it sounds then, but I'm in the sticks here. I just hate the idea of blowing £137 on a set of Mittels, and finding no difference, or even worse, that they don't sound much better and I find them too heavy to play comfortably.
    Oh well, i suppose it's all part of the fun.
    Good luck, and I shouldn't worry TOO much - that clip sounded pretty good to me.
    Mark

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The tone your getting sounds fine. It's hard to tell from that clip alone but it sounds like you are getting nice attack and body.

Truthfully I don't hear a big difference in tone between Mittels and Weichs on my basses. More in feel. Mittels have a little 'fatter' sound.

A few questions...

What do you feel is missing?

What didn't you like about the Innovations?

As a gut user there is no synthetic string that even comes close.

One suggestion that worked very well for me were Evah Pirrazi's. One my bass they had the biggest, fattest acoustic tone of any steel or hybrid string. They are a little higher tension but it was worth the extra work for the tonr.

5. Thanks guys haven't been back to this for a while, i guess the bass always sounds a bit tight to me thats the only way to describe it, other basses ive heard (but not played) seem have a more open sound? if thats makes sense of course it could just be my playing technique too i guess