1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound clip comparisons - Nordy vJ5, StingRay 5, G&L Tribute LB100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nordy vJ5

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. StingRay 5

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  3. G&L Tribute LB100

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. IYV IBW-550

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nordy vJ5 w/Big Blade 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I've been inspired by @Dr. Cheese to give this a try. Having some fun learning how to do some very basic home recording. Got a cheap Behringer UMC22 and recording in Reaper. Purchased a backing track off of YouTube that has smooth funky groove to it (Smooth Jazz Backing Track in Ab Minor | 90 bpm [NO BASS]). I picked this track because it has a lot of space in it and my simple bassline can still be prominent enough to hear the slight tone differences. However, what surprised me most is that the tone differences are not as much as expected with my playing, with the exception of the higher notes that bring out the character of each bass. I hope you enjoy these clips, and don't be too harsh on my playing please, lol. A bad note here and there, and my timing really isn't great. But here is my first crack at this.

4-ash-maple-family-small-png-png.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    A few comments...these are only eq'd from each bass. I don't know how to do any real processing in Reaper yet. The settings for each bass is as follows:

Nordy vJ5: Volume on full, pickup panned slighty to favor bridge pickup, low mid slightly boosted, bass slightly boosted, and treble rolled off just a touch.

StingRay 5: Volume on full, pickup selector in Parallel (towards bridge), mid slightly boosted, bass slightly boosted, and treble rolled off just a touch.

G&L Tribute LB100: Volume on full, tone rolled off about 25%.

brocco, wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Nice stuff!

I'm wearing out those Music Minus videos in my practice time. We used to shell out a good bit of money to buy trax like that back before Youtube and the internet (and glad to be able to do it). I had a boatload of Music Minus CDs from my road days, but I had left them with my Dad for him to use in his teaching, but they were all ruined in Katrina (along with several thousand CDs, tapes, and records (you young-uns Google it) in his collection.

Tony G likes this.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I really liked the Nordy’s tone, but it was much quieter than the others. The SR5 had and all around great tone and volume. The LB seemed a bit overpowering for the recording...
    I’m not sure which would be my faforite as is, maybe the SR...
    If you bump up the volume on the Nordy, that one might take the cake for me.

Charlzm, lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for the comments. I was trying to bring the basses a little more to the front of the the tracks to make them more prominent. As I said, this is my first crack at home recording and I'm not very good at it. I'll see if I can go back and balance the levels a little better later.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yikes, this thread is DOA, huh? I didn't think my playing was that bad... :D

7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The Stingray was my favorite, followed by the Nordy. The LB100 was too woofy and lacked some clarity . It would probably shine in a rock context.

8. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    They all sounded good actually - LB 100 for me though. It just has that tone that i crave. Dont bash yourself on your playing - NOTHING wrong with your playing at ALL. Great job pal.

lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    None of these basses are my particular cup of tea, but I will say you did a pretty decent job putting the clips together! Agreed that the Nordy is a bit quiet compared to the other two, though.

People are busy losing their minds over Chinese Fodera copies at the moment, perhaps they'll flock here next once they are done venting and accusing each other of lying/deception, and/or breaking the law...

10. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    The Nordy was a little too pillowey for me.
    I Like to lows and low mids of the Stingray but the high mids and highs of the LB-100.
    I voted for the Stingray.
    I have an LB-100 and it is a fantastic P-bass but I don't think it's the right instrument for this music.
    This is a great comparison - Thanks for putting it together!

lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  11. I voted SR5. Felt the Nordy was a bit mushy or soft on bottom, the LB-100 felt kinda pushy/woofy. SR5 seemed nice and firm on the low end and had nice clarity on top. How 'bout those for a great example of TB "tone words!"

wmmj, lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  12. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I agree, I think the Stingray seems the best fit for the track. More generally, I prefer the more organic/open/woody qualities of the the Nordy and the LB-100 (which I voted for); while I like the tight low end of the Stingray, there's something a bit artificial or hyped about the tone. That said, after being very into pillowy, wumphy (how's that for a tone word?) lows for some years now, I'm increasingly favoring tighter lows, which seem less prone to mushing up the mix.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for all the great comments everyone! Keep them coming! I've updated the tracks in the first post to get a better volume match. Let me know if there is anything else I could do to help me improve the sound on this type of thing in the future.

14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The updated tracks make for a much better comparison. The Nordy and Stingray are now much closer. A bit more high mids on the Nordy would help it. The Stingray is more aggressive in the mids, and also sounds a bit compressed, which makes it sound more appropriate in this track to me.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The Stingray was your favorite? Based on your avatar, that seems pretty obvious to me! :D Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. This is the first p style bass I've ever owned in 20+ years of playing, and I really dig it too. Just fun to get that kind of punch out of it.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I saw that thread. Crazy stuff!

Hmmm...maybe, but I dig the LB100 anyway. It kind of gives the song a 70's funk vibe.

Interesting stuff! If you see this and get the chance, take a listen to the updated versions I put up in the first post where I tried to volume match them better. Let me know if you thoughts change at all.

Yes, that was my first thought as well. The stingray seemed like the natural choice, but notes on the g string seem a little "artificial" as you put it....almost synth like in this context. Thanks for commenting!

lowdownthump and fermata like this.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Nordy had the most presence but I prefer the sound of the Stingray.

Dr. Cheese, lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Great, thanks! I'm glad it is a bit better now!

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    My reaction was similar to yours though I waffled a bit between the Nordy and the Ray. I did not care for the LB in this clip for the reasons stated above.

I felt like the Nordy was smoother than the Ray, but something about the EQ of a Ray makes them stand out in a mix. I like that, but I can see why others might prefer the Nordy.

19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Oh come on now. There is more than 1 bass in my avatar. In fact , I own 3 basses.

48BA9E16-6B04-40C7-B636-4C57FFEB9922.jpeg I just happened to prefer the Stingray out of the 3 basses you posted. But I made the choice bassed upon what I heard , not which bass was used. And my Stingray5 Special HH bring some different tones and voicings to the table than yours.

But now that you adjusted the Nordy track , I like it more but still not as much as the Stingray5. :smug:

I am wondering why you didn’t use your other 2 electric basses on tracks for comparison.:headphone:

HD007 and Tony G like this.
  20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha! I was just picking on you. The Stingray is my newest addition, and the LB100 has been with me about a month. Prior to that, my Nordy has been my main bass for the last 10 years. The fender and the carvin will get their day, but they are both jazz style basses and thought it would be redundant. I wanted to compare my three very different styles.

lowdownthump likes this.