Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound clip of my new(used) MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterFunk, Apr 17, 2003.

1. so I got this mtd ..

[​IMG]

I thought I would record some clips..
    It kinda sucks, and it's not anywhere close to Adrian's cool clips but... so here you go. :bassist:
    Any comments or suggestions on how to improve my playing will be greatly appreciated :)

click here

2. It's

Myrtle burl top with Mahogany body
    maple on maple

going through..

mixer (Mackie vlz 1604)
    stereo out to sound card
    recorded on Sonar XL 2.0
    2 bar drum loop made with Roland vdrum

slight bass boost on the mtd

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Welcome to the MTD brotherhood MasterFunk! That's a nice looking 535, and your sound clip sounds great. Nice tone!

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    NICE!!! I have never tried a MTD, but you make me want to now!! nice job!:bassist:

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    she's a beauty! congrats, bro.

funny how similar that sound clip sounds to my 535 - and mine's korina/wenge/maple

you can hear clips on that preamp shootout thing in the amps forum...

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    cool...
    any fingerstyle clips?
    :)

7. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    What gfab333 said! :)

8. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Which other settings do you use?? Bridge PU or neck PU or balance in the middle??? And the rest of the knobs (treble and mid) on the 'middle'-stand??

Thanks

9. Thanks guys.

I'll get some finger style clip when I get a chance.

So far, I play with blend in the middle most of the time. On finger style however, 75% rear pickup and boost the low mids a little, treble and bass in the middle. It sounds like... lets say, the jaco with about 50lb of weight gain. :bassist:

vanselus: They do sound interestingly similar, I wounder if it'll sounds similar in the live setting though :bassist: :)
    by the way, isn't korina similar to mahogany?

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    you know, i have no idea. its obviously similar enough to not make much of a difference!

i used to do the 25% rear pickup thing all the time too - but now quite often i use the front. The MTD has the best front pickup response and punch of any bass i've ever played. Another thing that I think is sweet that you might wanna try is rolling almost all the way to the back pickup and plucking the strings near the neck joint - it gives this really hollow, funky sound that sits in a light mix amazingly well. Sometimes the MTD cuts so much you have to find ways to mellow 'er out!

11. I'll definitely try that tonight.

I know what you're saying about the front pickup. I've never been a big fan of the sound coming from a blend that favors the front PU, but it's definitely digable on this beast

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    what are those knobs made out of? they look pimpin. i should get mike to send me some of those :)

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's very true!!! it's amazing how articulate and punchy an MTD can be. My 535's B string is so big, fat, clean, authoritative, and articulate, that it is "THE ULTIMATE B" by which I judge all other B strings on other basses.