1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound clip quiz for you: Lakland vs. Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Mar 24, 2009.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    It's time for a rematch. Many people participated in the last couple of challenges and I thought you might be interest in my continuing quest to make my Squier sound more like my Lakland. I put some Nordstrand NJ4's (70's wind) into my Squier and I'm quite pleased.

So how do they compare? (And which is which?)

Bass Clip Carrot

Bass Clip Bacon

2. tidnab

tidnab

Jan 21, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    Bacon>carrot..

The carrot sounds wet to me the Bacon sounds cleaner and so my guess would be carrot=squier...:eyebrow: ... then again although the bacon is cleaner, it's also a little thinner... gosh i really dunno :p

3. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I would guess Bacon is the Lakland. More midrange and a less prominent bottom which I'd guess to sit better in the mix.

4. I'm guessing Bacon to be Lakland too, sounded more round to me with less top end..

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm guessing that I would only have a 50/50 chance of guessing which is which from these clips (I haven't listened), but that I could play either bass blind folded for 5 seconds and know for sure, even if I didn't touch the body, bridge, headstock or the pickups...only the neck and strings.

6. Despite being vegan, I prefer the bacon :smug:

Not sure which is which to be honest. I'm hoping bacon is the Lakie.

7. My guess is is Bacon = Lakland

8. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    same for me. i think bacon is the lakland

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well considering the audio file names.....

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, when I opened the Carrot clip with WMA, the name of the bass showed up under "Now Playing"--so I won't be guessing.:p But I wasn't surprised when comparing the clips.

11. well carrots is squier, bacon is always better

12. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I really don't know whih one is which, but I like the carrot sound better than bacon.:meh:

13. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Ha! LOL. That's funny. The name of the bass must be embedded within the info section of the sound clip, despite me renaming the actual file itself.

Oh well, I tried. For those of you who have the self control, try not to peek!!!

14. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    I'm hearing what to me sounds like the frets interacting with the string a bit on the "carrots" clip... so that suggests to me that "bacon" has a better set up / better neck / better fret work... So based on that, I say carrots = Squier and bacon = Lakland.

15. BassplyrMH

BassplyrMH

Jan 12, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    The bacon clip sounds more even in tone from top to bottom, more "refined" almost. the carrot clip sounds a bit hotter and picking up more fret noise. I like the bacon more, I'm guessing the bacon clip is the Lakland.

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I won't guess which is which, but the carrot clip is much cleaner, and more even sounding through the frequencies. I can hear a lot more detail, and the mids are richer, too.

The bacon clip is more muffled, and there is a bit more bottom, but maybe a little more scooped, with a less clean and less extended high end. It almost sounds as if the strings are deader.

I listened through good headphones and the differences are huge, IMO.

It seems my impressions are opposite nearly everyone else's here.

17. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Can't believe most of you guys like the bacon clip better. The carrots clip absolutely kills with tone and presence. I vote for carrots.

18. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Bacon is Lakland. Bacon seemed more middy to me. Carrot was more bright. I would prefer Bacon for recording.

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Bacon sounded far better in the mix.

Carrot sounded like either it had BRAND SPANKIN NEW strings on it, or really treble/upper mid heavy e/q. I didn't care for that tone at all compared to Bacon.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I find myself agreeing with the majority but for different reasons: Bacon sounded like you were having an easier time playing than Carrot - less fret squeak / scrape. Yes, and it was thicker too.

So... Carrot = squier, Bacon lakland.