Sound clip - that Sadowsky sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Sadowsky basses are being talked about very often here, but I haven't seen many good sounclips. Here is a clip that represents the "Sadowsky sound" very well IMO. The bass is an early 90's Standard 4.

And here is the clip:

Comments on the sound(and playing of course ;-) are wanted.
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Great quality, great playing. Nice work!
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't have the seasoned ear that many here do, but I've got opinions. Very nice playing. Sounds great. To me, it sounds a lot like a good Fender tone. To me, very reminiscent of Jaco's sound.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    First of all, very nice playing.

I would say that is "a" Sadowsky tone, not "the" Sadowsky tone. My PJ has a ton of versatility, and is able to go from a very traditional sound all the way to some ultra-modern hi-fi punch. I would place your sound in the middle of that range, like a more present and aggressive Jazz bass. I love that tone, btw.
  5. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Here's a clip of the bass:
  6. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Very nice! Smooth and round but well defined. Cuts through a jazz mix nicely. I wonder how it would fair in murkier waters like Rock or Funk/Rock.

P.S. - Any slap clips?
  7. Your playing is indeed good.

I however am not impressed with that tone. It sounds... like I would expect a Jazz to sound. I guess I have high standards then.
  8. Very nice song!!! great playing! Great tone!!!! Very low mid punch!I love it.
    This song reminds me my old Spyro Gyra LP's .:cool:
  9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    In response to Eric's first question, there is a Sadowsky (mine) in the first and third cut on this page, although If I had Forever is pop, it does give you some sense of other Sadowsky tones.
  10. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    No, unfortunately. I am not playing in the clip, it is a friend of mine. I have a record full of jazz tunes, I could host another one if people are interested.
  11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    And here's a pic of mine:
  12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I agree that the playing's great, for sure better than me.

I don't like the tone either, it's just not my bag. But for different reasons than you. I don't think it sounds like a jazz (at least not the jazz tone I like to dial in).
  13. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Nice Playing!...I think sadowsky's are so versatile that it's hard to actual say what the sadowsky is like....I normally think of the sadowsky tone to be more fat and deep than this clip...
  14. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I really enjoyed that clip. Thanks for sharing it with us. Concering the "tone", I'm going to be honest. I wouldn't know a Sadowski from sparkplug. :smug: BUT... I do know what I like and if something sounds "appropriate" for the "mix". The bass playing in this clip was pretty darn good (certainly better than mine) and the clip overall had a nice rolling smooth jazzy feel. So again, I *really* appreciate you sharing the clip.

Bass sound:
    Tight = 8
    Punchy = 7
    Clean = 8
    Timing = 9
    Creative = 7

Overall, I would definitely enjoy listening to this in a live setting, while driving or just relaxing with my girl.
  15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I agree, it doesn't sound like what I think of as Sadowsky. More Wal-ish to me. I do like the tone though.
  16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds great to me! Great playing, great tone.
  17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sounds cool, man. Thanx for sharing it with us.

Sadowsky Rules!

18. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Very nice sound, extremely cool song. Has been running in loops for the past 2 hours. :)
  19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    cool clip, thanks
  20. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oh my god that clip is awesome!

That half-dim V/II chord is so pimp.