1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound Clips - Musicman Caprice w/ Labella Low Tension Flats

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 7, 2017.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    @jro Wanted to hear a Musicman Caprice with flatwounds, so I thought I'd make a few quick clips.

Bass: Musicman Caprice w/ Rosewood Neck
    Strings: Labella Low Tension Flatwound
    Recording Method: Line Out from a Phil Jones Double Four (bass: 2:15, mid: 2:30, treble: 11:00), into an 1/8" to USB adapter and recorded with Audacity.

I haven't played in over a year so ignore my butchering of one of Bruce Thomas' bass lines :)

All samples are recorded with the tone all the way off, at 50%, and at 100%

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    tindrum, Rock Salad and dralionux like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds great . Can you please do some with the tone rolled all the way off and 50%.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Sure I can work on that tomorrow.

dralionux and lowdownthump like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Here are some more samples with the tone all the way off and at 50% as @lowdownthump requested. Same bass line.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Thank you for taking time to record those clips . This bass sounds great with flats.
    I’ve been using the stock rounds which give a great contrast to my Precision with TI Flats. I think I’ll invest in a set of chromes for my Caprice and see how I like them.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I actually keep debating on putting TI's on. I love the Labellas, but I want a little bit more grit when I dig in.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    I just put the la bella low tension flats on my AVRI 63 precision and they are AH-MAH-ZING - never coming off. The purple silk also looks amazing on the sonic blue/mint guard.

lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  9. jro

jro

Mar 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks for posting all of these. They have convinced me that I'll be getting some flats soon, though which ones I don't know yet. Considering Ernie Ball or TI flats. Most likely I'll start with the EB because of the price.

lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just ordered TI's. If I like them I'll be selling the Labellas.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
  12. hafizimran

hafizimran

Dec 7, 2014
    Beautifully played, thank you for this. I just got myself a Caprice and intend to install some La Bella LTFs too. I’m just uncertain on which scale length to choose from- Medium, Standard/Long etc?

13. I recently bought a Caprice and it quickly became my main bass. Since the other bass I have is an american pro P with Fender 9050L flats I like having the Caprice with 45-100 Slinky rounds. Tonal palette is great with these strings but I'm curious to hear how it sounds with flats too.
    Since it's the only bass I can use for slapping at the moment I'm gonna wait a little bit, maybe I'll get another bass, but I'm sure I'll try some flats on it.
    I'd start with EB Cobalts, they seem a nice in between flats and rounds.

14. Time has come, so I'll quote myself. Please, share your thoughts.