Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound clips of Rick Turner and Rob Allen basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjazz50, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Does anyone have clips of Rick Turner Renaissance or Rob Allen basses? I've heard the one clip on Rob Allen's site and I am very interested in hearing more.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i wish i still had my clips of the 4 string MB2 fretless RA i used to have.

i prefer the Rob Allen to the Turner...by FAR!

i know someone selling a GORGEOUS 5 banger for 1600. pretty special piece!

great price! with case.

lemme know if you want info...or just search bassgear.com

f

3. What about the Rob Allen made it that much better than the Rick Turner? I've heard nothing but good things about both. Also, how would you compare the Rob Allen to your Lightwave basses?

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the turners i've played had the bronze strings and sounded more like an ABG than a meaty fretless that the Rob Allens exhibited.

funny you ask about the lightwave in comparison to the RAs.

i had a Rob Allen MB2 fretless that i absolutely adored!

this was when Rob was living in LA, not far from me.

the neck started getting wacky and he couldn't fix it. so i returned it to the LA Bass Exchange. this was well after the return period. but, Rob made sure i was taken care of. great guy!!!

when i was returning it, the guys showed me the new (at the time) Zon Lightwave fretless.

i was blown away...it had all the characteristic that i loved about the Rob Allen....and NO NECK ISSUES!

both are very organic..but, i found that the lightwave could be MUCH MORE!

one thing about the RA's is that they are piezo only and tend to get "clacky" if you don't adjust your technique a bit.

some say the Rob Allens are a one trick pony...but, hey...that's one heck of a trick!!!

i still want another!

they are REALLY light and fantastic to play!

one reviewer called them "a feather with balls!"

so, the Rob Allen actually steered me towards my Lightwave fetish.

before that i had a Pedulla Buzz, so you can see the progression.

sorry, i don't have my glasses on...pardon the typos.

f

5. I'm still interested in hearing clips of either bass if anyone is willing to make them. More comments would be great as well.