1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound Comparison: Labella LT Flats vs TI Jazz Flats - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Labella LT

34 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. TI Jazz

47 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Both are recorded with my Musicman Caprice with the neck pickup only and the tone on full. In both cases, the strings are only a few days old. I'm trying to decide if I like the TI's or if I want to go back to the Labellas. Honestly it's a tough choice.

Labella LT Flats

TI Jazz Flats (week old)

TI Jazz Flats (broken in with wax/lotion)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I say TI Flats . The Labellas sound too muddy and less defined to my ears.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    In your clips, I preferred the Labellas, but that's because the TI mids accentuate the "basketball bouncing on concrete" sound of a neck pickup soloed. On my fretless 5501 with both supposedly crappy Bart MK1 pickups on full with an aguilar obp3, the TIs sound great.

4. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I have used both and the TI's sound more complex to my ears - just like your examples nicely point out.

That said, for the right bass the LaBella's will do an excellent job. I just haven't found that bass yet - at least in not my collection anyway.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both is nice flatwound, just depand how you like it.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Will give the clips a listen in a bit, I am a TI's guy but it is more the low tension than the tone that has sold me on them, i like a thumpier flat but the TI's are so easy on the hands

lowdownthump and filwitheneff like this.
  7. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    you should not reveal which clip is which string. this will eliminate bias opinions based on preconceptions

8. I'll take the La Bella LTF's based on sound alone.

Was thinking about trying Thomastik Infeld though...

9. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I've done this same comparison. I liked the Labellas. The bonus is they cost half as much.

StrangerBasses likes this.
  10. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've written the praises of T-I's numerous times and every word that I've written is STILL true!

Jazz Flats are a fantastic product and they feel great and maintain their performance for a long time.

I know of nothing finer or a more satisfying product than Jazz Flats

11. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I play Labella Flats on 2 of my basses, the 760FL's but I have to say the Thomastik sound better out of these 2. I couldn't play either though, not enough tension..

TomB and lowdownthump like this.
  12. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I'm surprised to find out these are flatwound strings. They TI's sound especially like round to me..

With that being said, I think it takes awhile for flats to settle in to their preferred timbre.

PDGood and fourstringdrums like this.
  13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The LaBella's sound like what I expect flats to sound like. The TI's sound more like round wounds (in this example). I have no other experience with them. It would be really interesting to hear the same test when the strings are older. The first few days with new strings always sounds so different from later when they settle in.

P.S. Thanks for doing this comparison. I really enjoy audio examples like this.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  14. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I've always loved TIs, but my '62 reissue P has LaBellas Flexibles, and I love it. TIs are a little stronger in the mids to my ear (in person), but both have a great sound.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I voted LaBella because they sound better to me on this clip, but honestly a few days is way too short for either string to reach its potential.

Burwabit and fourstringdrums like this.
  16. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

I have used, and still use both. I have found that the sound, to me, depends on which bass likes which string set. Thanks for the sound clips.

17. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Chromes ;)

RedJag and fourstringdrums like this.
  18. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I prefer TI's, but in your clips, the LaBella's sound better. I find each bass chooses it's strings. I love TI's, but not on all of my basses.

19. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Play the one you like the most. No one else will be able to tell the difference.

20. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Since she has FAR, FAR MORE credibility than I'll ever have as a bassist, I've always followed her recommendation. Especially since I started playing the bass in 1965 and prefer the 60's type of sound.

Thomastik Jazz Flatwound Bass Strings... "The Rolls Royce of all strings for that vital 1960s powerful sound with great feel." - Carol Kaye