Sound Control Help!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    ok, i practice in a garage, and it's a bit cramped. But the worst thing is a loud drummer with bad cymbals. does anyone know a cheap and simple way to keep a head on it? Besides telling him to quiet down, which never works, what can I do. I need some kind of sound shield. i need something that can fold up and store or something. GOT ANY IDEAS???? I am sick of cranking everything else to gig volume in a 12 by 20 foot or so space!!
  2. I'm serious here. Get yourself another drummer, or another band. If the drummer was any good, he would be able to play quietly. Why am I serious? Because my friend, you are going to do as I did, and ruin your hearing. I have lived with tinnitus for thirty years, caused by standing next to a panel-beater drummer, three gigs a week plus one rehearsal, for three years. I'm lucky, my tinnitus is a constant ringing (actually Bb 4 octaves above middle C) that never diminishes, so I just accept it. Others have waves crashing, or thunder rolling, and it drives them nuts. Some have even commited suicide because of tinnitus.
  3. buy earplugs.

practise with him, make him play quiet, be by yourselves, the two of you, you supervising him...

g'luck ;)
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Most drum shops sell these rubber/plastic matts that you throw over the cymbals and/or the skins. The idea is the drummer can continue to belt em but the volume drops heaps.

Or make him use "hot rods" at practice. They'r like drum sticks but they're made of lots of bamboo strands.

Or, get a roll of gaffa tape and start taping up the bottom of his cymbals. It only makes am a bit softer but is makes them stop ringing sooner and sound a bit less bright.
  5. Some of the bars around here have what looks like a plexi glass wall around the drummer to isolate the sound a bit more. If the build a wall around him with this stuff he won't annoy you quite so much.

Or get him to play with brushes or something.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a bar here in outer Sydney which insists the drummer sit inside a clear plastic cage. Sure the drums are softer but it works the other way as well, meaning the drummer can't hear the band. We sounded like we were all drunk. We couldn't lock it with each other.

We starting hanging signs saying "Please do not feed the drummer" and "Be careful, I bite". We thought it was funny but the venue decided our protest was too strong and tried to withhold payment.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This one is simple. When he starts playing too loud, you stop playing. Tell him there's no point in rehearsing if you can't hear the vocals and instruments. Do it every time. Do not let him take you off on a tangent. Just say, "I won't play when you're too loud. Period."

Another solution is to have separate rehearsals without the drummer to work out parts.