1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound cuts out from tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by honeyboy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have a MIM P-bass that recently started humming but goes away when touching the strings, bridge or input jack area- obviously some sort of grounding problem. The humming would also go away if I turned down the tone pot just a bit. Today I replaced the stock bridge w/ a new Gotoh 201 bridge. The hum was still there so I wrapped the bridge ground wire around one of the bridge screws, and also shielded the cavity with copper tape at the same time. The humming is gone- BUT- now when I max out the tone pot, all sound disappears. If I back off the tone pot the same distance I used to to get rid of the hum, the sound returns with no hum.I also notice the volume output from the volume knob is lower than it was before the shielding and grounding.Any ideas? Do I need to replace the tone pot? It is a CTS pot, about a year old.

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    help!

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Have you checked if your cap is faulty? Assuming all wiring is sound, i would check the cap next.

4. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I'll check that. Thanks.

5. Sounds more like the pot is at fault to me.

6. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Well, I solved the problem of the pot cutting out. I had put some copper foil inside the control cavity and apparently the pot was grounding out on it because when I took it all out(the foil) the pot once again works.