Sound cutting out on Warwick PRO FET 5.2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hamdog03, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. hamdog03

hamdog03

Jun 11, 2021
    New Zealand
    I've had my amp head for about a year now and I'm really happy with the sound and volume it can produce. However, there is one problem I'm yet to figure out.

Occasionally, seemingly at random, the sound coming from my amp completely dissappears, both through the built in DI and through the amp itself. All the lights on the amp stay on and everything looks normal except for the fact that I can't produce any sound. Nonetheless, it is a quick fix if I'm close to my amp, as all I have to do is click the mute button on and off and the sound returns. Luckily this issue has mostly only occurred during practice, and only happened once live. Still, it isn't something that should be happening randomly at all. Unfortunately, Idon't know what it could be or what to do about it.
    Some things I've tried are:
    • New lead
    • New speaker cables
    • New power cable
    • Cleaning out the cooling fan
    • Checking the circuit board for issues in the circuit. (although I had no idea what I was looking at)
    Due to the randomness of this occurring, its hard to tell whether any of these changes are making a difference.

Any suggestions for what it might be and what I should do?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    According to the schematic, there is a switch as part of the Effects Return socket. It may not be making good contact, and that would prevent signal from getting to the power section and DI. Maybe try inserting and removing a 1/4" jack into the socket a few times and see if that helps. A technician can evaluate the socket and might recommend replacing it.

ProFet5.1 Walk-VV_Walk-BU (1) - Erstellt mit der pdfMachine von Broadgun Software. Mehr Informationen unter http://www.broadgun.de (warwick.de)

wave rider and hamdog03 like this.
  3. It seems like the mute switch is being triggered somehow, if unclicking it solves the problem every time. Is there a way this can be happening internally?

4. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    the pro fet heads were discontinued like ten years ago IIRC.
    despite you have the head for a year, it's a 10+ years old head and it might want to appoint a technician.