Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound deadening

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WarThumb, Feb 27, 2006.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    I'll try to explain this in englinsh :help:
    At a church i play in once a month, I have a problem with the sound. The room is app. 40x40 feet i think, and with a stage at one end. Problem is, the whole back wall behind the stage is brick wall. The sound i horrible. We have put a plaxi-glass cage around the drummer, it helps but still both me and him sounds boomy.. Any suggestions?

2. If you can do something 'permanent', frame out a wall behind the drummer using a product called Soundstop. This is how I insulated my garage for my studio. I did...

concrete block wall -- 2" of air -- Soundstop -- pink fiberglass insulation -- Soundstop -- sheetrock -- some acoustic tiles

Or for a less invasive idea, hang or even lean one or two panels of Soundstop covered in fabric behind the drummer and attach some acoustic tiles. They are fairly light and are the same size as sheetrock panels.

For expensive acoustic tiles Auralex is good, for stuff on the cheap try Foam By Mail.

Good luck!