1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Sound Degradation when using silent jacks?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim C, Dec 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    While all my amps either have a mute or stand by switch, I was considering my next cable with a silent switching jack. I really like the Canare cables and depending on vendor they are available with a Amphenol jack (helical spring)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A2JAH816F3JQTD

or
    a Neutrik connector with a reed switch
    15' Canare GS6 Guitar "RED" Cable w/Neutrik Silent Plug NP2RX-AU ¼ - NP2X-B

Do you think that either design depredates sound to an audible level and any thoughts about longevity?
    TIA

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have mogami cables that use the Neutrik silent plugs, and I love them. I believe there is no degradation of sound quality at all, let alone at an audible level -- but since I don't have a physics lab at my disposal, I can't say that with absolute certainty. Regarding longevity, anything with moving parts is more likely to fail at some point than something without them, but after over two years, my cables show no signs of approaching failure.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Not quite sure how they work, but I found this video:

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ah, I see now, the magnet makes it short to the shielding when it's not plugged in.
    If it were to degrade your signal, it would just short it out, stopping all signal.

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    ^^ As just above, the only degradation of sound quality would be if the muting switch failed to open.

The switch contacts are not in line with the signal path. So long as the switch is open (unmuted), it is just as if the switch wasn't there.

-

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    After consulting my dictionary - no.

CameronJohnson and Geri O like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021