1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound Difference? Huge tape to medium flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by poppinsmac, Mar 16, 2009.

1. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Right now I have some very heavy gauge tape wounds on and I think that flats would be more where the tone in my head is.
    BUT money is tight for me and I don't really want to have to throw down the cash to find that it's not what I am looking for.

So, what will be the big tone difference?
    I can't remember what the brand of the tapes I have on right now are, but they are suuuper thick. The same guage as the Jamerson flats.
    And I will be going to med. d'addario chromes.

Thanks for the help.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Some random thoughts about tapewounds (I have the Rotosounds) versus flats:

Tapewounds feel like they have less tension than chromes to me.... but the bass neck says otherwise ;)

Soundwise, I loved the tape wounds. More of an DB tone than the chromes. The chromes are definitely brighter and have more sustain.

I would have stuck with the tapes, but I have some hum issues, and need steel strings to ground the hum.