1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sound difference Spiro Mittels and Weichs

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassplayer48, May 4, 2010.

1. Hi Guys just wondering if anyone can tell what the difference in sound is between these 2 i'm currently using Spiro Weichs.

Would the mittels sound fuller?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Depends on the bass, but in my experience, they are simliar in sound. The Mittels seem to speak a little quicker to me and have a bit more "clack" in the front, with more treble.

Because weichs are lower in tension, with them raised up a bit, you get a little darker, bouncier tone.

Both very nice sets of strings in the end. I'm sure others will have comparisons that support and dispute mine. It really does depend on both how you play and what your bass seems to like.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Generally, mittels will be louder, punchier and growlier. That has been my experience anyway. On my main bass, volume is very close because mittels seemed to choke up the bass a bit. I think weichs bow marginally better.
    Do a search and read the newbie links for lots of information.

4. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good description!

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    +1 I find the Mittels to have more mwaaah to them - that longer sustain generated by the bigger mass of the strings. I don't particularly like that and consequently prefer the Weichs for their punchiness.

YMMV

6. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Thats funny, I found the mittels on 2 different basses to have less sustain compared to the weichs. The E string especially, the others not so much difference.

I guess the only option is to buy both and see which ones you like :meh:

At least spiros are one of the cheaper strings out there.

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had Spiro Mittels on my hybrid bass since September they sound so good. I guess it helps that my bass is part laminated, so there's a good amount of punch to the pizz sound.. they also sound nice and warm. About to throw a Stark E into the mix though. dun dun duuuunnn..

8. Thanks Guys thats a great help i do also find the weich's quite punchy i use the bass for bluegrass playing so not really looking for more muaah, just wondered if the mittels might be the same but more so.

I do have another question though how do guts compare to spiro wiechs in sound??

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Gut sounds completely different than Spirocore. There are quite a few threads on them you can check out. I would also recommend checking out Spirocore Solo gauge(tuned to Standard Pitch). I have found them to be a very comfortable tension with a slightly darker sound than Spiro Orch or Weich. They also bow far easier. Depends on the bass of course...

10. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Just a side note and question.

I have Spirocore medium and always goes back to that. Velvet Anima made my bass significantly louder but I went back to Spirocore for different reasons(feel, quick response, the Animas also had some strange overtone on different notes on my bass)

So to the question: Will Spirocore Weich have the same impact on my bass; make it louder due to lower tension and less "choking" of the bass?

Or were the Animas louder just because they are louder per se?

Oystein

11. swingingoodtime

swingingoodtime Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I found that Mittels completely choked my bass; I lost volume, clarity, & upper harmonic extension. Moving to Corelli 370TX's opened things up markedly, but they were a little twangy & thin under my fingers for my taste. Shifting to Weichs has been a very good move from there; a bit darker & thumpier but retaining upper end clarity & volume. Sometimes wish I could dig in a little harder with my right, but the tension suits my left nicely. I'm quite curious to try Anima's as I'd like to see how my bass (and fingers!) reacts to the (even) lower tension & shorter sustain.

12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am thinking of replacing my spiricore weich E string with a mittel one.
    I think my bass lacks somewhat volume and authority on the E string.

Will this solve the problem (because I read different things here about the volume of the mittel set)?

and is the Spiricore mittel E much harder to bow then the leight E or is there not so much difference?

13. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Mittel E is fine to bow.

For a beefy arco tone its probably preferable in most cases to the weich, though I found it reduced the openness of the other strings, especially for pizzicato.

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the power of mittels on my basses. On both my basses weichs didn't have as much volume or punch. They had a deeper sound pulling more darkness from the bass but I found them more buzzy and fatiguing to play over a long night.

I always come back to Mittles myself, although I confess a great fondness for the solos. If I played in more delicate ensembles the Solos would deliver more sounds I like.

Someday I may try to get used to them and see but It's hard for me to not have the higher tension. I really like resistance when I play.

15. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I've got a new loud bass which sounds great with Evah wiechs but through my full circle/clarus/wizzy rig is way to dark/bass heavy. I'm looking to change strings to help articulate the notes. Which do you guys think will help more spiro mittel or wiech?
    Cheers Geoff

16. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    No way to tell without trying them both.

17. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I thought you might say that :)
    Better break out the winder and make space in the string draw :)

I know it's repeated all the time on this forum but it's amazing how much strings vary bass to bass. I'm playing my spare bass today which just loves the evahs but yesterdays gig on my new bass was a boom fest!

I love spiros though so I'm looking forward to trying them again.