Sound differences between Sadowsky Metros

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJClone, Dec 22, 2004.

1. AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Forgive me if this is posted somewhere (couldn't find it in a routine search) but does someone have music clips of the different Sadowsky Metros? I've read Bass Player's reviews of these basses but wanted to "hear" them if possible. Thanks.
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I just purchased a Metro MV4 from a dealer called Indoor Storm (out of NC). They had a sound clip of the bass I purchased on their website. I think it's still there. You can check out their website to It's a transparent white (they called it whitewash) Metro MV4. I'll be honest...a sound bite is one thing, but holding one in your hands is something completely different. I hesitated about spending the cash and buying something brand new, but after having it for only a couple of days....I have no more regrets. Good luck!!
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    This is sorta random but i've got serious GAS for a Metro RV5 w/the vintage tone control. That'd be killer-i've been wanting a rosewood boarded jazz 5 that is at least on par if not better in quality level as my Ray5 [the thing that has kept me from buying an SX]. That's all
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I had NAMM #2 metro which was alder/rosewood and now have a later metro, ash/maple board. The ash/maple example has more bite, sharper attack. My alder metro was warmer, more vintage of a vibe. Hope that helps

5. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I think the alder/rosewood combo has a warmer tone. My MV5 ash/maple is pretty bright. The quality is fantastic though - they're not cheap but worth it in my opinion. The craftmanship & quality is the same as the NYC model I once owned.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had the expirence of making some preamp adjustments and you can get a Ash/Maple bass to come near in tone to a Rosewood/Alder bass.
  7. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Is it possible to achieve, with the ash/maple combo and VTC (Vintage Tone Control), the sound of alder/morado??? and vice-versa???

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have not had any expirence with the VTC but i here they are prety handy. In my expirence it is easier to darken up the sound of a Ash/Maple bass then it is to brighten up the sound of a Rosewood/Alder bass.
  9. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH oughta look into a totally USA made (they all are) Mike Lull vintage J bass for about the same price as a Metro. I have nothing but tremendous stuff to say about my two American made Lull basses. The thing is the totally passive one I have is sooooo nice sounding...It's a PJ 4. You may want to look into one as an alternative...they're made excellent, they play, look and sound excellent, they are priced more competitively, there are some in stock throughout his dealership and if you want a customized one to order, they take usually under 90 days.

Just a thought...

10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I install VTC kits in my NY Sadowsky, but finally I alway fully open the tone pot when I play them
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The new Bass Player has some nice descriptions of the tones of the Metro basses (they reviewed three). But I know, aint' the same as hearing for yourself.