Sound doesn't exist in a vacuum, neither do amp/head/bass choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deff, Aug 6, 2019.

1. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Having been here for a little bit I know I am beating my head against a wall when I say this that it I know it is in people's nature to want to share their experience with whatever wonderful amp they have, believing that their application or choices will work for others. It's what we do, we want to justify our choices. It's always, "An SVT/GK/Markbass/Darkglass is what you need", but really every choice we make on a head or a bass or pickups or pedal doesn't exist in a vacuum, they all effect each other.

"Would my pickups work for metal?" "A Pbass is the only good bass for punk." "Everyone needs a compression pedal". The electronics and number of woods, bridge, construction design choices boggle the mind and they all effect each other to a greater or lesser degree depending on what you have throughout your whole rig. Half the time if you are on a budget, if you are lucky you come up with something that works, but sometimes you don't. There's rarely some magic combo of items that works for everyone situation. But sometimes here we just recommend things without even thinking at all about what the person actually wants, without any knowledge of the music they play, or any of the other parts in their rig. We can do better.

Sorry... rant over.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Haroldo and Zbysek like this.
  2. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    That’s the beauty of TB! Have another coffee and everything will be just fine :thumbsup:

And of course, fire the drummer, you’ll feel even better!

Joking aside, people that are asking questions sometimes don’t think or research before posting (I know I did). Therefore, a vague question will generate random and useless generic answers. But again, that’s TB. You can still learn new stuff every day.

Have fun!

fig and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Someone forgot his Miralax!

;)

Yeah, I've seen that from time to time where people only recommend what they use and pretty much ignore what the person is asking for. There's usually someone who comes along and pokes holes in their answers, too. Welcome to the internet. But we can either complicate a question to the degree that no questions ever get answered or we can answer and accept a few uninformed replies as part of doing business on the internet. I choose the latter.

fig, lomo, CTBassGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This is too long; I didn’t read it. Whatever it’s about, I’m sure you just need to put tort and flats on it.

b-b-b-bass and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    An HPF/LPF will hook you right up.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Ahh thanks. You guys get me...

7. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    TL;DR, so I'd just suggest you go with an Ampeg SVT and two matching 810 cabs, at least for coffeehouse gigs....

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I am guessing one person too many told you to get a P-Bass and an SVT with and 810E :roflmao:. I can empathize.

9. If you really want to have a heart attack, head on over to The Gear Page. :D

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021