1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sound effect in all those great 70's funk songs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MMiller28, May 16, 2004.

  1. MMiller28


    Apr 27, 2003
    I'd really love to know what this is. It just may be some sort of synth pedal, but I'm not sure. If I had to describe the sound of the effect with a word it would be "bow" (rhymes with wow). sorry for the lack of info.
  2. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

    Probably a Mutron III or Electro Harmonix Bassballs. If it really sounds like a synth it was a synth... no synth pedals in the 70's;)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

    That's right - things like Rose Royce's "Love don't live here..." Tom Browne's "Funkin' for Jamaica" etc. - the bass line was played on a keyboard synth and there are lots of those from the 70s.