Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Engineering Schools

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 13, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    What are some of the best sound prouduction schools in the Georgia/southern states area? If there aren't any, what are some of the best in the nation?

2. The FullSail schools program is supposed to be a good program. I believe the website to be www.fullsail.com

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    university of Miami has a killer program.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Columbia College in Chicago has a very good program with great equipment for the students to use.

5. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but the school I go to, Middle Tennessee State University, has one of the top (top three I think) Recording Industry programs in the country. You can do music business or Production Technology (what I think you may be interested in). Anyway, it's cheap and it's only about 4 hours away from Atlanta. Plus, it's a member of the academic common market, so if they don't offer this program in Georgia, you can get in-state tuition here. Hope that helps. Message me if you need any more info about the school.

Peace Outside

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    wow, thanks alot jams.

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    any schools in boston or the massachusettes area?

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina

hmmmmmm....BERKLEE!

Berklee School of Music has a program.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    BUTLER UNIVERSITY. Great protools stuff and cool studios, all real up to date equipment. I go there if u have any questions

10. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Yeah Berklee...my uncle went there(not sure what he went there for) and said it's a great school if you are really interested in music for a career. I live in Alphareta,GA so i'm always looking for schools around this area too. I knew a person who went to Miami and had to drop out because it was so stressful.

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey if you live in GA and are looking for schools in the area check out USC. I go there now and there should be a major established within a year or so. The studios are nice and the instructor is great.

http://www.music.sc.edu/recording/index.html

check it out.

12. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I went to Full Sail, it's probably one of the top 3 schools. If you want to work on idustry relevant gear then you should consider it, it's also an accredited college so you come out of there with a Degree.

13. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey I was wondering about that place. Also SAE?..I know they are expensive but any other comments on them. Is there jobs for whn you get out of those schools?

14. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I would be lieing to you if I said there were tons of jobs, it's the entertainment idustry and it's about who you know. But I have been fortunate to find work, partly because I went to Full Sail. People respect the school because they know you were taught the latest sh**

You are alos taught more then just recording music, they teach you post production, live reinforcement and audiotronics. So you come out with a wide range of knowledge. You won't be an engineer untill you actually get out in the field, but you would be more prepared then most people walking into this field.

SAE I heard is good as well, but it's a lot smaller and your not going to be able to work on some of the gear that Full Sail has. But it does have smaller class sizes which is a plus.

15. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Full Sail is in Ft.Lauderdale, right?

16. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    It's in Winter Park (Orlando) FL.

17. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    If you don't mind me asking..how much did you pay to go thru Full Sail?

18. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    at the time i paid 25,500 but i think it's up to 27,000. Thats just tution, you need to account another 10 K for living expenses.

19. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I've pretty much decided on Full Sail guys. Thank you all for the input.

20. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I got a letter in the mail saying that Full Sail has gone up to $35,000...that is alot, but worth it I guess.