Sound from my headphones sound much better then my speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Dec 12, 2002.

1. I'm having problems getting a tight low end on my 75 RI /w emgs out of my SWR redhead. But when I use my headphones, the sound comes out perfect. My P-bass is the only bass that sounds good off my redhead speakers. The Gallien-Krueger MB150S112 (amp I used to test out basses at sam ash) sounded better then my swr, but I'm not going to pay that much for a small combo. Should I start looking for a another rig? Is it my 75RI equip with EMGs? I was thinking about getting the J-retro for my 75ri, but rather spend money on amp/speaker setup then the preamp.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my man,

i see an Acme cab in your future... ;)
  3. Dammit, more upgrading. Where can I try out an acme cab?
  4. In you bedroom after you buy it.:D
  5. DUH! :D

But seriously, did you really expect an SWR redhead to sound anything like headphones? Welcome in the real world.

A tip: never, ever try studio monitors. You'll never want anything else.

Acme cabs are close, but they need 3-10 times as much power as a regular bass cabinet. Look into the EA CxL-112!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - I have studio monitor speakers on my home recording/ Hi-Fi set-up and the reason I really like EA cabs is that they are the closest-sounding to this.

The best sound I can get is playing my bass direct into the mixer and then through my big monitor speakers - but EA cabs can get very close!! ;)
  7. Actually, a pretty good hi-fi salesman once told me that "A $100 set of head phones will sound like $1000 speakers. And that ratio of 10 to 1 is just about right. Most decent headphones will easily respond to 30 hz. and below. There just isn't that much air to have to move in your ear canal compared to the amount of air in a room.
  8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You don't need a new cabinet. You need new headphones!

9. Ok, *** is going on. I played a SWR 350x with the Golioth junior 3 2x10 and the bass is much deeper then my P-bass and Jazz. I played off a $500 Fender Jazz and got a better tone. Could it be my EMG pickups?