1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sound Hold Function of Boss ME50B-does a single pedal do this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by akrein62, May 15, 2006.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    The Boss ME50B has an "Innovative Sound Hold function sustains a low note while playing over it" feature. I don't have this pedal so I don't know how it works, but it sounds like an interesting way to play a melody over B or E string drones. While I am planning on getting a multifunction effects pedal soon, as a simple hobbyist and beginner, I don't want to spend too much and the ME50B is out of my range. I'm leaning towards the Zoom B2. Is there a single pedal that might let me do this? One that doesn't cost a fortune.

Thanks,

Andy

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sorry. don't know of one. i personally have not seen the sound hold function anywhere else, but you can get creative with a looper and get close.... maybe combine it with a delay or reverb to cover up those *clicks* from the loop repeating.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Isn't it called SOS (Sound On Sound)? I believe that the DD-20, the big twin delay thing, has it. I also believe that the SYB-3 and/or SYB-5 has it to, but I've read they have some trouble with it. Some other of the Boss delays might have it, and the Delay Moddeler (w/ 4 footswitches) does minor looping as well. The Akai Headrush does looping. In fact I'm sure that almost any delay these days does the whole SOS/looping thing!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yep the Boss SYB-5 does this. You hold the note you want and you can play a clean tone over the top of it. It's pretty handy. When it's on, it kind of sounds like a fuzzy flange playing beneath your notes.

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    exactly what i was going to suggest!!!

6. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Thanks guys. I'll look into these suggestions.

Andy

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just so you know what the ME50B function does: Play a note with the expression pedal in the "toe up" position. When you put the pedal "toe down" it sustains that note. You can now play over it. You can approximate that effect with a looping delay, where you just punch a short loop and play over that. Something like a DL4 or DD20, which have very fast punch in/out, would be ideal.

8. The boss dd3 has a hold sample function. I think it's eight seconds.

9. Its up to .8 of a second. You can hold a note with it, it just sounds dodgy if you lose volume during it. you can set it to record like a .1 second sample though, that might work.

10. Theres a boss compact called a distortion/feedbacker which holds the not that you are playing when you push it down I believe. much like the hold on me-50b. I think that is what it is modelled on.

boss df-2

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/55/

11. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I own one of these, and unfortunately, it's probably not what the original poster is looking for. The main problem is that you can't get a clean feedback note, and it generally won't sustain the fundamental when you run a bass through it. As much as I love weird effects, this one is probably best left to guitar (ebow + DF-2 = crazy soundscapes). A lot of the reviews for this pedal mention it bein used by Adam Franklin (Swervedriver) and Matt Talbot (Hum), so that should give you some idea.

The intersting thing about the DF-2 is that it is NOT a short looping delay, as I'd originally assumed. It actually uses a phase locked loop to generate the feedback sound (I think there's a LFO in there too). I've toyed with the idea of building the PLL circuit without the distortion (and much more heavily filtered to get the square looking more sinusoidal), but I don't have time right now. The schematic is out on the net, though.