Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound hole

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    What is the difference in terms of sound between a semi-hollow bass with a sound hole and one without a soud hole?
    I'm building one for my next project but I just can't decide whether I want a sound hole or not. I want a warm tone. What do you all think?

2. How semi-hollow are we talking? Is it a standard body that is chambered or more of an archtop type?

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I don't know how it much it will be a factor in a semi-solid bodied instrument... but the point of a soundhole in acoustic instruments is to rock the treble out. Think of it like like a dude with a loud car stereo next to you at a red light. With his windows up all you hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM. If he rolls down the driver side window more and more highs will be let out. Bass signals are a lot stronger so they don't need the help.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hahaha

Great analogy Scott, thanks.

It is going to be pretty hollow. I'm making a singlecut with the entire upper "chamber" hollowed out and about a half of the lower chamber. I'm looking for a tone between an upright and an electric and based on what scott has told me I think I'll be leaving the sound hole out.