Sound levels with a mixingboard and headphones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sebastian, Dec 3, 2004.

1. I need some help. I just went to an audition with some guys and the person who owned the practice spot has an in home recording studio. I put on head phones and like an idiot I played he said he adjusted my levels and then off into the audition we went. Well let me tell you I could not hear anything and tried to tough it through. I flushed that audition out the door and I knew it once we were finished. I do not want to put the headphones on again and sound like a sack of crap. When wearing headphones to a mixing board as the bass player what should I be able to hear so I can keep the groove? Drummer then guitars finally vocals or what? What level loud soft?
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    You should be asking yourself this question. What do you want to hear? Most likely he had you on a seperate mix, just ask to hear what you want. Why did you not ask, most people wont hinder attempts at better performance. He should be prepared to adjust you mix. I would find it strange if I was engineering and I built a mix for somebody and it was perfect right off the bat. Personally I like to hear a nice well rounded mix, maybe down on the vocals and up on me a touch.
  3. I never utilized this guys gear before. Pressure of the moment. Guarantee that won't happen again. The persons gear was faulty also. The two guitarists were sharing a stereo channel and it took him better part of two hours to get the wiring working. So when we gave him what we wanted and didn't get it exactly we pressed on. I believe the guy already had it in his head that the personality chemistry was not in place. thus doomed even before touching a string. But next time using that gear I won't stoke a chord until I havre exactly what I want in my headphones.