Sound like a good rig to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Mar 23, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    preamp: line 6 bass POD
    amp: Carvin power amp (dcm 600 I think)
    speakers: carvin 2x10 & Carvin 1x15 (biamped)
    additional: Carvin crossover (I forget the model number)
    Dunlop bass wah or morley bass wah(maybe)
    and some volume pedals so I can mess with the speaker volumes while playing

how does that sound to you guys? I know I'll be dishing out atleast $1500. My question is really, should I go biamped? I like to have a solid tone and I don't think that running all tones into a 4x10 is gonna allow me to get a solid bass and still get that special higher end. I probably won't be buying this anytime soon. Maybe in the fall.:)
  2. from what i hear carvin speakers arent too good
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Carvin speaker cabs aren't bad for the price, but they are power hungry and a bit lacking in the bottom end. Their power amps are pretty good; lots of watts for the dollar. If I were you I'd get the DCM1000 or higher to have more headroom, especially if you go with the Carvin cabs.
  4. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    A good quality 4x10 will cover your bass from 40Hz to 20Khz. After that point it's just a matter of which cabinet sounds best to you. I know others will disagree with me but I've never found a need to biamp as you can get the whole range you need from a good quality 4x10. If you want that boomy rumble that 15's give then, yeah get one. But I wouldn't get one just to get a decent frequency range.

I have beef with Carvin (and EBS) for making their 10in cabs cut off before you reach the E fundamental so you have no choice but to buy the accompanying 15 (more money for them) to get a full range. I know I'll probably get flamed but I think that's a load of crap.
  5. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I sat in with a band tonight. The bass player had a Carvin combo amp that had one 15", two 8" and a tweeter. I was not impressed one bit. It lacked everything......bottom, top and middle.

Just one mans opinion, for what ever that's worth.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    the cyclopes combo eh? My step dad had one, he seemed to like it.

did you check his settings by any chance?
  7. A friend of mine has one of these, and I was impressed, if you tweak it out properly it sounds much better than I imagined. Back to the original ?, I use a bass POD as a tone shaping preamp, running 1 line to my amp, and 1 line to the board. This is a soundman's dream, no mic'ing cabinets, just one plug. If you don't play through a PA, you might want to make sure it is loud enough, otherwise you just have to worry about stage volume. And I do believe that rig could cut through even the more aggressive drummers. Then again I could be wrong...
    Good luck, let me know how it works out for you, and if you have any ?'s on tone shaping with the POD e-mail me. I have found some really great settings. As far as a wah pedal, the floor board has one built in, and also a volume pedal.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Make sure that that Xover goes down to 80Hz or else it's not very useful.