1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sound Like Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by moxnix9, Jun 7, 2002.

  1. OK I'm throwing a party in a week (today is 6-7-02) in my garage with my guitarist buddy and drummer buddy performing all blink-182 cover (please don't comment on how easy there stuff is etc.). I recently found out that Mark uses Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky bass strings. I was shocked/unaware of this. Also, I was told those strings only last 2 months or less! I just got a new Fender P-Bass MIA and it has new Fender 82-50s strings. I could buy new Ernie Balls and re-string my bass. However, I was wondering if after the Ernie Balls die it would be OK to put the 82-50s back on. Now the picks Mark uses. Somone told me he uses Dunlop Tortex 1.50 MM picks. Is that what he really uses? I thought he uses felt picks. I've been using felt picks, to practice the songs we're playing at the party, and it seems to sound a lot different then the Dunlops. Please Help. Sorry about the length. I want to say I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I want to apologize to the moderator who has to move it.
  2. beermonkey


    Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would love it if my strings lasted 2 months... I have to replace my strings every 10-14 days.
  3. jasonbraatz


    Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    honestly, in a band situation, for one gig, i don't think it will matter that much. save the $$$ for a pizza or something.

    having a P bass with roundwounds and a pick will get you 95% there, and the only people who would notice the other 5% are advanced musicians who are really into blink - which there aren't too many of :D
  4. I think you're paying more attention than mark would, or anyone else for that matter. It won't matter the strings you have on it, you can switch them onto or off it however you like, as long as you nail the notes and get within the right tone, you'll be fine. Getting in the right tone will be easy too, you don't need to go so far as to replicate his string set, just get the growliest, punchiest tone you can. Anything with lots of mids and lows, you'll be fine
  5. The strings would last longer if you actually took care of them. But besides that, nailing Mark's tone is not hard at all. Pretty much just leave the mids flat or a little bit boosted, boost treble a little, and a leave the bass flat. As for picks, my cousin caught one at a concert and when I held it, it felt like .88 or maybe even 1mm.
  6. whe i had to play any blink covers :eek: (wow...that was like...years ago) i always used roundwounds, p pickup on full, tone dimed, eq mostly flat, .60 pick.
  7. notnuffsleep

    notnuffsleep Guest

    Jun 5, 2002
    San Dimas CA
    Well said BigWig... Man just go out there and have fun