Sound Man Told Me My Cabinets Were Adorable!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Jul 3, 2022.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    DISCLAIMER - This post has zero educational information and is just for conversation.

We played a show in NYC at The South Street Seaport and I used this amp. Aguilar TH700 and my Bag End S15N cabinets with Neo Bag End drivers.
    Really great combination and the head drives the cabs beautifully.
    Before the show the sound man told me that my cabinets were “adorable” !
    That’s a first for me.
    He was an awesome guy and they did an amazing job.
    That’s the Brooklyn skyline in the background..actually Brooklyn Heights.. really beautiful neighborhood. 7458592F-CF0E-44DE-B1FA-FA59DA8F9E65.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Bob_Ross, MCF, Brad Maestas and 71 others like this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Well, they are! I love Bag End cabs. I had a pair of S15D’s and always got compliments on my tone. Killer cabs!

tshapiro, Fretless55, tindrum and 4 others like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Darn sound guys, they are a humorous bunch. You ought to have lunch or dinner at the sound crew table ;)

MCF, WG Plum, villegastx and 33 others like this.
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Nice rig! Sure he wasn't looking for a date??

5. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    That’s hysterical.. I hope not .

6. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I always like chat with the sound guys. Talking about bass gear with them is always interesting.

tshapiro and mb94952 like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Kinda cute in a bass cab sorta way. I’d play it.

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    How sweet , your rig does look great and I'm sure it sounded that way too . We always have good luck with the sound crews we work with . It's good to be in good with the sound people .

Congrats on the good gig .

Keyser Soze and 57pbass like this.
  9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I mean, "adorable"? Come on..

10. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Our singer and keyboard player happened to be in the conversation and roasted me all weekend. Too funny
    Hope you’re doing great and Happy 4th of July.

SJan3 likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Odd coincidence.... Around here, many of the best sound guys are (or at least were) bass players.

But, yes, they're an odd bunch. If you accept their oddness, they can be some of the coolest guys to get to know though.

12. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Good soundmen are as good as gold.

13. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    He was right, and the green gig bag is adorable too!

14. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Excellent.
    They’re my Undercover Gig Bags. Probably 10 years + old and still showing no signs of breaking down. Too bad they’re out of business.

mb94952, rodl2005 and cxcxcx like this.
  15. He changed his mind after you off the fanny pack. :roflmao:

16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Speaking from 35+ years experience as a bassist, many of which were also spent as a sound guy, I can confirm that those cabs are, in fact, adorable.

Based upon only limited experience with Bag End I’ll go out on a limb and say they probably sounded pretty adorable, too. They make nice stuff. Always have.

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is generally true at least here in the states. It's why I can easily slide between the bass/keys and pro audio sides of the MI business (even though I am a keyboard player), the language and general nature is more similar than different. It's entirely different when you get to the guitar and drum side of things though.

Yes, it's an odd industry, I lived it for over 40 years and got to a MUCH higher level, working with a higher caliber of player than I ever would have on the best day as a player. I freely admit that I am below average as a player but way above average as an engineer and production manager/technical director. That's where the chips fell and I am actually grateful for the opportunities I have had and the players/acts I have worked with over the years.

roccobass, MCF, WG Plum and 37 others like this.
  18. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Nice to see the right-side-up and upside-down horsemen in the same thread. I'm sure it's happened before, just haven't witnessed it.

19. The cabs are sweet :thumbsup:

It's carrots with torts and flats that are adorable :bored: