Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound of a horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Ok i am lookiking at getting a new bass and a new cab in the not so distant future. I have been looking at basses alot lately. At the one store they will always plug you into the same combo it is like thier bass test combo. It is a SWR i believe with a 12" and a Horn ( the horn is the important ingredient) Now this is the only place I have played bass through a cab with a horn. It seems that i hear the string hitting the frets everytime i fret a not if my finger is touching the string when i mve to a different position I hear ungodly amount of string noise. Are these characteristics of playing through a cab with a horn? Or is it Just this cab? Or could it be that it is something with all the basses that i have tried at this shop? If it is a characteristic of a horn I dont like it but would it be worthwhile to have to practice to help with technique? So i dont fret so hard and i dont slide and get string noise?

2. Either turn the horn off or turn down the treble on the amp. String slide and fret buzz is more audible in the higher frequencies. Rolling them off a little can reduce the problem.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, horns tend to point out very clearly any technical discrepancies...not to say that people who don't like horns are trying to cover up bad technique or anything...

actually- live that kind of stuff helps you cut through better. and it does help you sort out technique IMO. if you can sound clean with your tweeters turned up all the way you're on the right track.

and theres nothing like the sound a bass with almost new strings run through a tube preamp and a cab with a horn makes. :D

jason

4. I personally didnt sem to like the sound of the horn even when i was playiung stuff clean through it. (clean = drumlingo for withought mistake, and good technique [by good technique i mean that you cant tell y left hand sucks:) ] ) But i may look for a cab that has a horn that i can adjust for when i am practicing to help with technique and if it grows on me it is there and if not i turn it down.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    exactly. if it's got an attenuator then it's there when you want it, and gone when you don't.

might as well have it!