Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound of ash/maple F-Bass BN5 vs. other woods/Studio model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by winston, May 10, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I love the bright, clear, warm sound of my ash/maple F-Bass BN5 but sometimes the tone has a little too much twang and attack for me. I'm just curious how folks would compare the sound of other F-Bass wood combos to ash/maple. The tone of their alder/maple/ebony fretless basses is quite remarkable. Also wondering if anyone's compared the BN5 and the discontinued Studio model side-by-side. I remember seeing a few solid-color basswood/maple/ebony Studios on the 'net.

I've been through a lot of roundwounds (Labella Super Steps, Adamas, TI Jazz Rounds, D'Addario XLs and Slowounds), finding I prefer the darker sound of nickel strings. I've thought about changing to half rounds or flats, but I don't want to lose too much punch and sustain. I tried a spare TI Jazz Flat low B on it and wasn't too impressed with its response. Anyone put flats/half-rounds on an F before?

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    On my BN5, I just roll off the Passive Tone Control. (Yes, it works even when you're in active mode) Instant Dark. No more Zzzzing.

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    +2
    that passive tone control is wonderful for warming things up....

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I have the older 1995 BN4 - Alder body, 7 piece neck with Wenge and Tiger Maple and Macassar Ebony board. Now mine has the older pickups with no pre-amp, but this bass is funky as hell lots of punch, but most important it blends in into any mix. Mine is not too bright and not too dark - in the middle - I think because of Alder body.

Cheers

6. +3 :)
    And when it's really too bright some more, I level down the bright control of the bass head and a bit of trebles too!!

Vince