Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound of Sonus 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Nov 2, 2005.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Just before i buy can anyone send me a sound sample link to a ZON sonus 5 before buying? One last thing are these basses versitile? for example can play Rock & Funk. A lot of graphite basses i have played (Modulus etc) sound a tad harsh how does zon compare?

2. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

Sorry I do not have a sound clip but you can find some here:http://altguitarbass.com/sounds.asp#ZON.
    As for sounding harsh, well in the right hands it could :)
    I play heavier type rock and I really like the sound, it cuts through nice and has a heavy low end. But the best of all for me is a neck that never moves and is always in tune.

3. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I don't know if "harsh" is the right word. I have a Sonus 5 Custom, which has different electronics than the regular Sonus 5. It's got a lot of edge without a doubt, and really sounds that way when played by itself. However, I've found that it really fits into a band well. I've done a lot of blues and R&B gigs with it, and all I've ever heard out of it is big, round bass.

I can also tell you that my Sonus 5 has the best action I've ever played on any bass ever. It's ridiculously low and still plays clean.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Warmer and less harsh than a modulus, and also less extended in frequency response. A little more traditional sounding. Solid, punchy, versitile, and slightly compressed sounding (simmilar to a Wenge neck in that way). Great basses all around, especially for fretless.