Sound of Thriller ... (Markbass Super Synth)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ulgen, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    Hey Everyone!

I recently got a used MB Super synth pedal and have to get as close as possible to the bass sound of "Thriller" in a couple of days! (It's a challenge, right?:bassist:)

Unfortunately, my mac cannot run the editor since that editor works only with 32bit OS, and I had no idea.:banghead:

So I was curious if anyone tried this before with MB super synth - using only presets available on the pedal. I tweaked the knobs and tried different presets, but no chance. Most probably I am missing something.

I use a Rickenbacker 4003 with a stereo jack so I can split the pickups, one of them dry and the other one wet (apart from the wet/dry knob on the pedal). Just saying in case it can be an important detail. Dunno:meh: I am not actually an effects person, but wanted to experiment and got excited. I don't own any other pedal that can be relevant, only a SansAmp Bass DI.

Thank you for your help!

2. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    For people who would have the same question: it simply doesn't work :) Markbass has good tracking and all, but still not able to provide that staccato synth bass sound that can replicate the keyboard bass on Thriller.

Plus the pedal's editor doesn't work on newer Macbook OS, so there you go.

3. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Did you turn down the Amp Dynamic and Filter Dynamic controls? Been a long time since I used mine, but I remember these two controls kind of kept the envelope 'open' with the signal from your bass. Turning them down allows the Attack and Release to control the filter directly. I had a Chameleon patch I was pretty happy with, which is in the same ballpark.

4. ulgen

ulgen

Mar 9, 2014
    Well i could never try the editor on my Mac because it doesn’t work with newer OS. ‍♂️

I tried many stuff that what that pedal could provide but no chance to get somewhere near a staccato synth bass sound. Maybe a good octaver pedal would be more helpful. Ended up selling the pedal.

thank you for your input!!

Phagor likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022