Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound off on your G & L JB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Mar 23, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I just got a JB2 through trade and as usual with G & L I'm doing so in the dark. I have confidence in G & L, I'm just curious of what I should expect from this bad boy? any comparisons or good ole testimonials?
    I really like a deep jazz bass growl, I have a MIA Fender Jazz delx that's alright I'm just hoping for an improved version of that sound.
    -pete

2. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    You can expect a superior passive Jazz with the variations of a hand-made bass. I have a 2002 American Jazz Deluxe and a newish JB-2 and rate them both as exceptional basses. How do you explain feel? The G&L just feels a touch more 'solid', the neck is slightly more comfortable and the pickups have all the depth I could want. The body size is about the same as the American Deluxe so they make a good pair.
    The Jazz is not far behind in finish and feel, but with more control from the active electronics.
    To be honest I love them both but the G&L is just that bit more exclusive - plus I picked it up for a steal of price given it has a flame maple top. :cool:

3. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    that was informitive thank you very much :). I'm the only active preformer in Utah scene that I know that uses G & L's. As a Jazz bass addict this was have too ;) . I'm sure I'll love both basses, G & L can do no wrong, I just wish they had distro out here in Utah

4. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I have a JB2, but I like the vesatility and the neck better on the Fender MIA Jazz Dlx. Also, i get some Pup noice on the G&L along with a sometimes rattely neck Pup

5. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Shielding does not seem to be G&L's strong point.
    As for the ratly pickup, the pickups are mounted on springs (better in the long run than Fender's cheap foam mounting) that can resonate. The cure is to stuff a piece of soft foam in the middle of spring to damp the resonance. It is beyond me why G&L don't do this during assembly - it would only take them a few seconds to do it. Still, I forgive my JB-2 these little quirks as it is such a great bass in every other respect.

6. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks Dbeffiff for the feedback. How would you compare the Pups on the MIA Jazz to the JB2?

7. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I don't know if I am the best person to answer this because I use a fairly bass heavy tone and just play straight finger style. All I can say is I am really happy with both basses. Both have plenty of lows and growl quite nicely when you want them to. I try not to spend time comparing basses but to just get on and play them.
    I didn't rate the Fender noisless pickups when I compared a Deluxe Strat to a Strat with Texas Specials. I can't really put it into words except to say that the Texas Specials had more character and gave a more 'complex' signal than the noisless = more feeling (soul?) as far as I am concerned. I guess it is the same comparing the JB-2 to the Noiseless Jazz pickups, except that for me the difference is not so significant at bass frequencies (that is just me - other players may have very different opinions because of style, amp settings, etc.).
    So, the JB-2 has just a bit more character but I would be just as happy to gig using the Deluxe Jazz. I just feel I am lucky to have found - and finally can afford (thanks eBay) - two such fine basses.

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I used to own a JB-2 w/ blue sparkle body and blue sparkle headstock! It also had white binding around the fretboard. It was amazing and I unfortunately sold it to buy a Kubicki Ex-Factor. I wish I had that JB-2 back because it sounded better to me than any Fender Jazz I had played. Bar none. Even 70's models! I like the thicker neck option with the J Bass for some reason so mine had a #8 G&L neck. It had a great recorded sound! Look forward to your G&L because I would buy a G&L any day over a fender. Just My Opinion.

9. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    If I had to choose it would be the G&L JB-2 over the Jazz Deluxe.

10. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    it comes today
    wish me luck fellas
    pics ofcourse

11. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Finally got some acceptable pictures of my JB-2 - and its cousin.

http://homepages.manx.net/jones/index.html

And of course I wish you luck. At the end of the day it is not what they look like that really matters but how they play - and G&L never seem to fall short in that respect. :bassist: