Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sound post position

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Sergio Barrozo, Jul 1, 2005.

1. My bass, that I purchased about one year ago, has the soundpost setted about 1 1/2 inch below the G side foot of the bridge. It sounds good; I play pizzicato most of the time for jazz music and the sound is loud, powerful and with great sustain.
    As I read in many articles that the rule of thumb is to set the soundpost below the bridge about 1/2 inch, I ask:
    May I try to correct its position and perhaps get yeat a better sound, or, let it at this position?
    Any help will be appreciated. :bassist:

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

From what I have been able to gather, moving the post closer to the foot makes for a more focused, articulate sound at the expense of depth, "bloom" and sometimes even overall volume.

Further from the foot is the reciprocal.

As usual, when talking bass, generalities are worth only a little and perhaps even less coming from me.

3. If it does all you say it does, congratulations and leave it alone. Please!
    The rule of thumb, is actually...one sound post diameter below the G side foot of the bridge. In other words, you should be able to slip another SP between your post and the bottom of the G bridge foot.

Welcome to TBDB Sergio....I am a large fan of Brasilian music!

4. Thank you for your reply.
    Best regards,
    Sergio Barrozo

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I remember you being kind of on the skinny side.

6. That was before I became a fan.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Wouldn't you be more of a 'fan base', then?

8. Please leave me alone.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As opposed to a "bass fan?"

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Sorry, I disagree with the previous posts. I think your soundpost should be checked out. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" does not apply to soundposts. The odds that it was fit for its current position are low. Therefore, the odds that it fits correctly are low. If it's a carved top/back, you could cause a split. If it's a laminated top/back, you could cause sinkage. Also, with the post that far away from the bridge you are likely losing tone and evenness. (Are you sure it's not the bridge that has moved?) Please have someone skilled look it over.