Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound post thing?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BrandonTurner, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Hello All!
    I just got a killer deal on an old King Mortone but it needs some love. Neck reset , seams, regluing laminates, yadda yadda yadda. Most of this is under control thus far. My real question is this. Inside the bass it looks like someone glued a wood block to the back for the sound post to sit on. I can see it making a little sense, but mostly not. It is not that big, 2x2 and half an inch thick. Should I bother to take it out? Or is it supposed to be there for support? It would probably be a big old pain without taking the top off. Any help would be apprciated.

2. There are a couple of current or former King owners who might be able shed some light on this. The advantage that I can see is that it makes shaping a new soundpost easier (the King's a roundback, right?).

This is probably comparing apples to kiwi fruit, but I own a Christopher bass, and there is a kind of integrated block on the inside back that the soundpost rests on (more elegant than your King's little square block). This is purpoted to be integral to the brand's better than average tone.

3. Your King bass was made with that block for the soundpost to sit on. A lot of laminated basses have some sort of sound post support added to the back so that the soundpost doesn't damage the back from a hard hit on the top. On Kays, the support is round, but it serves the same purpose.

4. Thanks!!! This makes my life easy. Anyone know how these kings sound?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  6. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hey brandon - i'm in portland also. where do you have your bass worked on?

-erik

7. I do much of my own work. For other things I go to Mark Carlson in MA. Do you play around here?