Sound Proofing Advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alexander, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    We have recently had to move our rehearsal space into our drummer's house and need to sound-proof the place so we don't drive his new neighbors out of town. We get pretty loud sometimes. Any ideas on how we can reduce the sound getting outside the house (besides turning down :D )?
  2. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    Get cushions or very thick blankets and put them all over the place. That should help a bit
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I recommend encasing the house in a 4-foot thick wall of concrete, like a containment dome at a nuclear plant. That will help a lot. Oh - if cost is a consideration, I don't recommend it. ;) Other than that, LimpChunk9's advice would be a good first step.
    - Mike
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The only way to stop sound is mass. The more mass you have the more sound you'll stop. If you're willing to spend a good bit of money you could add a second wall, and in the space between the walls put sand or concrete or something real heavy.
  5. The best way is to basically build a room inside a room, and insulate the space between well.
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What about using "egg crate" material. Almost every studio I've seen is lined with this stuff and it seems real good at improving the acoustics within the room. I don't know how well it will diffuse sound going to the outside, though. Maybe if we layer it on top of carpeting or the like it will be okay.

Any thoughts?
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Egg crating type materials just diffuse reflections, they don't do anything to cut down sound transmission beyond walls. Mathew and Phat are dead right. Mass is the only thing you can use to trap sound. A room within a room, with the space between filled with sand is probably the best soundproofing, but obviously cost prohibitive.

On the "what you can do" side. Elevate your amps. this will accomplish two things - with the amps aimed at your head, you'll turn down. It will also eliminate the acoustic coupling with the room, that will resonate past the structure.
  8. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Pacman for the reply - good advice. I told our drummer I didn't think that would work and I'm glad to hear you confirm this...
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what i would suggest is that you build temporary walls, simple 2x4 walls that are insulated and have sheet rock on both sides, that you can set up about 2-3 inches from the regular walls. this will create the equivalent to a brick wall as far as the sound is concerned.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    my best friend did something along these lines in his studio, he took the back room of his house, and put 2" thick pieces of styrafome (sp) in the windows, and all along the walls, then put a a thin piece of wood over it all, (i forget what type it is, but you can get it at home depot) then he bought carpet and put it over the walls and doors. We never played overly loud in there to begin with, but you can hard hardly hear the music outside of the room. He also lives in a very populated subdivision and has never had the cops called for disturbance.