Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Proofing, I need some opinons on our next step.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jan 2, 2003.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    My band plays in a 12x24 room in my back yard, about 50 feet from my house and probably 75 feet away from my next door neighbors house. We have already spent about 400 dollars putting up a second ceiling ( insulation and all ) and covering all the windows. Although, when we practice, outside the building you can have a normal conversation with the person next to you, without having to speak any louder than normal and be able to hear each other just fine. While our playing is merely a mild background noise, no louder than a passing car, my neighbor still calls the police. So we are considering purchasing this sound proofing kit for the walls and such. Anyone have any experience with one of these? What results should we expect from putting it up.. Suggestions (carpet padding is out, we want it to look good also)..

Here is the kit that we are thinking about buying.
    http://auralex.com/sound_control_proplus/sound_control_proplus.html
    price is about $1000.
    thanks

2. Why cant you use Egg carton holders? They are square, they are used inbetween stacks of egg cartons from factories/grocery shops. Hell of a lot cheaper.

No i havent used that kit. lol. I dont have enough money for that.

:D:D

Merls

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You may want to check your local noise level ordinances.

Most are written with a certain db level at a certain distance determining whether you are in violation or not.

You may already be in compliance.

There are always going to be *** ***** who will complain if they can hear the music at all.

I was playing a wedding reception once with one acoustic guitar and an upright bass. You can imagine the volume level. We hadn't been playing more than ten minutes before a neighbor had called the police. The cops actually apologized for interfering with the party. In the interest of avoiding probs, we just moved inside.

If you have to further soundproof your room, you may want to consider heavy drapes on the walls that can be pulled aside when not needed. They are very effective for sound proofing and relatively inexpensive.

Good luck

Pkr2

4. Isn't it cheaper and easier to cut your neighbor's phone line?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nakoa, what time of day do you guys practice? What do the police do when they come out?

Your neighbor sounds like a jerk. The only way to truly dampen the sound any further is to isolate the inside of the room from the outside. In other words, a room within a room, like a recording studio.

That kit is expensive, and IMHO will not make much difference in the volume outside of your practice room.

6. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    I agree with pkr2, check to see what the noise ordinances are first. Assuming that you find your are in compliance, you should try to extend the old olive branch to your neighboor. Let him know that you are in compliance, but that you want to foster a good neighboorly relationship. Maybe he (?) sleeps at a certain time etc...

If all else fails and hs is a jerk then he may just have to live with it. Spending more money on it should be your last option.:eek:

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good idea! Actually, I would check to see if I'm already in compliance. If I am in compliance, I would tell the neighbor to **** off. You seem to be doing all you can at being effective controlling noise.

8. NOOO, don't buy that kit! That will simply make the room you are IN sound better. It will do NOTHING for soundproofing. Egg cartons and carpet will also do NOTHING for sound proofing. This question comes up once a month and I point people to the previous threads in Talkbass. Do a search, I have provided a great link in one of the threads.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Do what Blisshead said. :)

When do you guys play? In California, if you quit by 10pm, you can get away with a lot. It sounds like your levels are reasonable anyway.

If your neighbor is going to be a jerk anyways, open your door and let him really hear it! ;)

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Merls: We thought of that, but we didced we want it to look good as well, and we want a definate solution.

Pkr2: Th only noise ordinance out here before was if it exceeds 85 decibles, than the cops can do something about it. The guy next door went to the city counsel and pushed for a new one and it states that if any noise bothers anyone, they can call in on whoever is making the noise.

Nomad: Wanna earn 5 bucks?;)

Embellisher: We play from 5 p.m. to about 7 p.m. We would start earlier, but he is watching his grandkid ( the man is probably in his 50's, dont go thinkin 80 or somethin, lol) and she stays asleep until 4:45 or so. so we wait until after her mom picks her up to start playing. but in his words, we are inconsiderate. Heres a funny story about his wife. I guess birds like their trees, well his wife( who i might add is as great a person as he::rolleyes: ) decided she was going to get rid of the birds by beating pots and pans together, using air horns, yelling.. etc.. she was WAY louder outside than we are when we are playing. but since that is a petty thing to complain about( us playing is more justified than her crazed mad woman bird scaring) we just turned our heads and left it alone. We have made several attempts to talk to him, asking HIM if it were ok if we played that night( pretty considerate, if you ask me) and all were replied to with No. I think the cops are on our side, when they come out, they are real cool, which is ok with me, since they are the judge of who gets the ticket or not. Some ask for cd's and watch us jam for a bit.

Blisshead: I think we used to be in compliance, until he fought for the new noise ordinance.

Rooster : he is a jerk.

Bada: that is probably what we will do, any suggestions on how to do it?

Gabu: we quit at 7 p.m. after only about 2 hours of playing. we dont have a bass player ( i play guitar and the other 2 are a drummer and a singer) there is no low end coming out of the building except from the bass drum, and that is minimal.

thanks for all yalls replies, keep em coming.
    :D

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You need a Dale Gribble response to this guy at this point. Ask the cops what you can get away with.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What a jerk! And his wife sounds even nicer.:rolleyes:

So the lame-o city council came up with an ordinance just for him, huh? Sweet. Did he pay somebody off?

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I think I'll ask him that if i ever confront him again. The really funny thing is, we live about a half mile from Lockheed, which most of you know what that is. Which is also a Joint Reserve Base, which means air force, which means jets and such taking off and flying all day everyday, at 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. keep going about 3 streets past us is the freeway, which is pretty noisy too. Yet, he complains about us playing. he has even gone as far and trying to incite the other nieghbors into calling the police on us. he's good people.:rolleyes: :mad: