Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound proofing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Since i cant sleep worth crap, i guess i will bug all of you TBers with my questions.

What is the bestway (cheapest way) to sound proof a room in a trailer house? I am in deperate need of soundproofing because of the new amp i got. Sounds cut through the walls of a trailer house like a hot knife through butter. and my dad is tired of getting complaints from the neighbors.

Thanks Ya'll

2. The real problem you've got is that the bass tones are also moving your house!! Not off of it's foundations or anything - just vibrating enough to make "soundproofing" a moot excersise. You also have a large air mass under the house with a relatively acoustically transparent floor system. Absorption of sound waves to the point of "soundproofing" is almost impossible. A better approach is to isolate your rig so that the cabinet doesn't couple with the frame of the mobile home. You might try building a small room within a room. By creating an air mass on all sides (ceiling and floor too) of a smaller cubicle within your room, you can go a long way to isolating your sound. It's a lot of work but it's about the only way to truly get some results in your situation.

3. Is there a way to at least dampen it? Because building a room inside my room is completely impossible since the family is moving in 2 years and I don't have the money to build anything like that.

Would carpeting on the walls help?
    Could you also put eggcrate matress stuff on top of the carpet?>