Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Proofing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by srbguitar, May 2, 2003.

1. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    hey there all
    first of all i'm not sure where to put this so moderators please help.
    my bands been having some problems with the place we used to practice.
    we have a place that could possibly play.(which is my house) my parents said that if we sound proofed the room then we could practice there.
    now the problem is money, we need to cover the whole room and and not spend a fortune.
    we need 448 sq ft to cover the walls and if wee need to cover the celling that is 196 sq ft more.
    questions
    - would something like the pink pather insilation and ege foam work
    - what other possibilities are there.:help:

please help us all and make this very detailed

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    First, pink panther fuzz will do pretty much nothing. Unfortunately, making a room completely soundproof takes a lot of resources. Putting up a concrete wall will attenuate the sound along the lines of 37 dB at 135 Hz and 54 dB at 4 kHz. That's pretty good, but that's also a concrete wall. Putting up "fuzz" as it were is usually used as a method of decreasing reverb time and taking a little bit of the highs out of a room.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You can soundproof, but don't forget !!!!

FLAMMABLE

We here in Rhode Island lost 99 people based on
    < in my opinion> the fact that the Station night club may have installed cheap flammable polyethylene foam on the walls that ignited during the beginning of the ' Great White" show 2 months
    ago.

Seen the video?

Chances of getting out of your basement alive are -------- ZERO.

Learn a lesson here:

Sound insulation - great;
    Flammable --- DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!.

Learn not to burn ....